Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mod to rifle thread tightening - advice please!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    IMHO Loctite is not a good solution & should be avoided - It's too strong for this application (even the low strength type) - sure it will stop the mod coming loose but you should take the mod off every time after using the rifle anyway. The teflon tape works as does a copper washer - I found thet my Atec Maxim came loose until I gave it a quick sharp nip up when putting it on the barrel. Now it remains there all day - but I've got into the habit of checking it is tight a couple of times whilst I'm out just to be sure.

Ian
    thanks Ian, it's become the last thing I check before getting into a shooting position. No bad thing, I suppose, just never had to do it for any other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    Exactly it's an old engineering trick and works really well it eliminates any friction which prevents complete lock of the threads hench the continuous loosing of the mod..................

Damian.
    Brilliant! I have some gun grease in the kit I have with me, so that's even better!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    I always grease the thread and hand tighten. Another tip if you are worried about corrosion is to lightly grease the exterior of the barrel that is covered by an over barrel type mod. Always take off to store.
    Thanks Cris,

Yes, I remove mod ASAP after shooting to prevent bore corrosion. Less worried about that part, more worried about any product applied to the thread that might trap water or corrode the metal.

Z.

Small "O" ring sat in the thread relief cut, won't stop the mod sitting square on the shoulder.
    But will provide a little bit of friction to prevent mod coming undone.

Neil.

PS: Unless the shoulder is not square to the thread, in which case it will always be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Small "O" ring sat in the thread relief cut, won't stop the mod sitting square on the shoulder.
    But will provide a little bit of friction to prevent mod coming undone.

Neil.

PS: Unless the shoulder is not square to the thread, in which case it will always be a problem.
    Thanks Neil,

This sounds like a good plan too. Will check shoulder angle when I get home.

Z.

Suggest us o ring and copper grease.

D

First day on the hinds yesterday, guys. 7 rounds fired (3 as a check zero first thing and then two hinds and two calves in one string) and the gun grease on the thread did the trick! No loosening at all and still had excellent purchase when I unscrewed the mod. Thank you all for the advice!

All best,

Z.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeissman View Post
    First day on the hinds yesterday, guys. 7 rounds fired (3 as a check zero first thing and then two hinds and two calves in one string) and the gun grease on the thread did the trick! No loosening at all and still had excellent purchase when I unscrewed the mod. Thank you all for the advice!

All best,

Z.
    Nice one Z.

I am off to collect my new to me 243 and mod, so will be zeroing that and then out on the deer

I was going to tell you the grease trick but I was beaten to it.

regards and well done

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube