Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change or not?

Change or not?

I currently shoot a blaser 6.5x55, mainly fallow. This does everything I want in the uk. I also have a 308 barrel, this just mainly gets used for boar now. My question is, when my certificate comes for renewal Is it worth changing the 308 for .30-06, purely as a driven boar set up. Just a bit more performance with heavier bullets? Or should I just leave as is. Is there enough difference to warrant the change?

No.

Is it worth the expence for the very little you would gain, I think not.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

All that expense just to join the 30-06 club when the .308 does the job adequately, NO !
    I suppose you local Blaser dealer would be only too pleased to say yes but I think the extra expense would be better spent on you family, especially your new born ;-)
    What brought this on Dan ?

I have .308 and 30 06 theres know diffirence both very capable on pig i only use my 308 for boar

I'd use some snorty 154-160 grain loads in the 6.5x55.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'd use some snorty 154-160 grain loads in the 6.5x55.~Muir
    In the UK, the guidelines state that a minimum calibre for boar is .270

To the OP, I bought a .30 cal last year and opted for 30-06. If I already had a .308 at the time, I wouldn't have bothered changing up. If you want more poke, why not go up to a crowd-pleaser like .375h&h?

regards

Ian

When I was young and only had a few centerfires, my rifle for big bad boar was a Belgian FAL with 180-gr Federal RN. Then I went to an HK-91A3 with the collapsible stock. You are going to be shooting fairly close, so even 2, 400 fps is going to pack a whallop. If I think I might be on the ground with several of them around me, the HK still gets the nod.

That's a lot of rifle to swing re the fal.
    I used to have a G1, nice rifle,quality build,built-in bipod,even had a nice walnut stock.
    A gunsmith supplied an adapted top cover so a scope could be mounted and easy to go back to iron sights,great practical rifle.
    Ahh the good old days
    Last edited by private fraser; 24-11-2014 at 15:42.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Yes, I now have an L1A1 with the Trilux illuminated scope with the inverted pointed post. As you say, easy to remove the scope and go back to the iron sights. The HK-91 is much more compact, but both are heavy. The HK slides down so short that it is easy to carry throught the woods, over the back. Largest boar I ever killed, over 400 lbs, was with that rifle, one shot of the 180-gr RN, down through his neck, spine, and out into the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    In the UK, the guidelines state that a minimum calibre for boar is .270

To the OP, I bought a .30 cal last year and opted for 30-06. If I already had a .308 at the time, I wouldn't have bothered changing up. If you want more poke, why not go up to a crowd-pleaser like .375h&h?

regards

Ian
    well I did think of a 9.3 x 62 barrel purely for boar. But i don't know how easily they would grant that for uk boar? When I enquired with my FEO last time it would have been for abroad use only. So... If that was the case I wouldn't want to sell my 308.