Thread: A crying shame

A crying shame

We started our pheasant shooting season yesterday and had a great day, but on a down side no fewer than four dead red squirrels where found around the shoot . We have been in a grey squirrel eradication scheme for several years now and have killed many hundreds of greys, it was obvious that the reds where making a comeback being a fairly common sight. My mate spoke to the squirrel man this morning and was told that this is not unusual as the greys that are killed leave vacant dreys that are infected with squirrel pox , reds move in and you guessed the rest, what a vicious circle!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    We started our pheasant shooting season yesterday and had a great day, but on a down side no fewer than four dead red squirrels where found around the shoot . We have been in a grey squirrel eradication scheme for several years now and have killed many hundreds of greys, it was obvious that the reds where making a comeback being a fairly common sight. My mate spoke to the squirrel man this morning and was told that this is not unusual as the greys that are killed leave vacant dreys that are infected with squirrel pox , reds move in and you guessed the rest, what a vicious circle!!!!
    As you say it's a shame the red squirrel are lovely little critters. I had a nice sighting of one the other weak when out stalking. It didn't hang around long enought to get the camera out for a picture.

Regards Kev.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

So a concerted approach to dray poking would be no bad thing?

Anything like this will have a learning curve the problem arises if there is neither the will nor funds to action.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.