Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako 75 donor action - .223 Rem

Sako 75 donor action - .223 Rem

Hi all,

I've just sold my .17 HMR and have decided to build a foxing/plinking setup with a bit more grunt in .223 Rem. This will be my first build so these are probably some quite basic questions despite quite a bit of research. Initially, I looked at Remingtons as a base to build on but I've decided that I simply don't like them enough to go through the hassle of building on. I looked at Tikkas because of the ease of getting aftermarket parts, etc. but don't need a long action which is the only size Tikka do.

So... I'm looking at Sako 75's but have a few questions.

1. Were 223 and 222 the only two calibres that used the No. 1 action?

2. If I can't find a No. 1 action, could a No. 3 action, bolt, extractor, magazine, etc. be adapted easily for 223? I ask because the No. 3 action would also give me the option of a longer cartridge in the future.

3. Are the bolts calibre specific on a Tikka action?

4. Is there a custom action that has a wide range of readily available aftermarket parts like stocks, bolts, etc? Not Howas, Remingtons, etc. Actual custom. Not a huge fan of round actions.

All help gratefully received!

All best,

Z.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just go out and buy a SH 75 in 223. I would see how it shoots and customise it as you go along and identify anything that can be improved.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just go out and buy a SH 75 in 223. I would see how it shoots and customise it as you go along and identify anything that can be improved.
    +1 but they are like rocking horse p**... There is the occasional 75 in .222 that appears which would be worth a rebarrel, but for the costs incurred to do that (£450-750), why not just stick with the calibre it's in. Can't be THAT much difference

Action I is .222 & .223 only. I don't see how you can do anything with Action III (.243, .260, 7mm-08, .308) that would enable a move to .223, or surely Sako would've done it themselves in the 85.

Happy to be wrong, but maybe James - Jager SA - or the like can comment as they are rebarrel pros!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I've recently managed to get hold of Sako 75s in both .243 and .222.

Both are very good rifles, and I can see very little reason for getting anything done to them. They both shoot far better than I can (both will put three shots touching at 100m).

You will struggle to find one in .223, but they do come up quite often in .222. As I Farticus says, no point in re-barreling: the marginal difference in performace isn't worth the expense or hassle. I use my .222 on roe, and they have all died more or less where they stood.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Thanks Brian,

A large part of me agrees with you! I've got a 75 that I love in 308. Perverse as it sounds, half the fun for this rifle for me is the build. I've never done one before but I suppose that old habits die hard so I'm just trying to replicate a 75 that is a fairly safe bet as a half-decent shooter before bedding, etc.

Any other actions I should consider?

hold out for a 75 action 1 , I did and love it (even found a factory 1-8) the bolt is too big and would take work I guess to change an action 3 into 223 ? you may as well 6 or 6.5x47 if you did that ?

a re-barrelled action one (17rem/222/204/223) would be your best bet for this project I think?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Thanks Mungo and I. Farticus, I know that you're right re altering a 75. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as an action to build on because of cost. Any other suggestions that aren't Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, etc.

All best,

Z.

Z, if you can find a shot out 75 Action I, rebarrel it and you'll have a rifle for life!! The problem is finding one...
    Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeissman View Post
    Thanks Mungo and I. Farticus, I know that you're right re altering a 75. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as an action to build on because of cost. Any other suggestions that aren't Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, etc.
    I thought about this quite a lot recently, and I decided that if I ever came to it, I would use an older Sako action - a Vixen or A1. There are quite a few around, and they go a lot cheaper than the 75.

That or a BRNO Fox.

Thanks tackb, that's great.