Sako 75 donor action - .223 Rem

Plus 1 to Mungo's.222 Sako 75 - shot it yesterday and it is lovely and light and very accurate - 3 shots through a 7mm sized hole. They just don't make it with the handle on the correct side, otherwise I would be sorely tempted :cry:

The CZ / Brno Fox makes into a nice little rifle.

Or Zastava makes a proper Mini Mauser controlled round feed, staggered box built for 223 sized cartridge action. Made in Serbia and readily available in the US but don't know if you would get one here in the UK. By the looks of it they need a bit of cleaning up, but with a bit of work could make a really nice rifle - Custom Mini Mauser Finished - Topic

tc1l.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

As for the stocks - there are quite a number of US rifle blanks / stock makers that can let let you have a semi inlet nearly finished blank and then either you or somebody like PKL can inlet and finish for you.

This is beautiful! Read the article - very interesting (well, for me anyway)! Think that parts might be tricky but will research! Thank you.

Thanks Mungo and I. Farticus, I know that you're right re altering a 75. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as an action to build on because of cost. Any other suggestions that aren't Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, etc.

Older Sako action, or a Remington Model 7 in .223 Rem. Shoot it like it is, or rebarrel it with a heavier barrel (M700 22-inch size) or however you want for moderator. A Model 7 would build up a nice little custom rifle.

I regret passing on a pristine Vixen in .223, and an older Steyr with long, heavy barrel .223 with nice walnut and bluing.

Zeissman, I have a S491 rebarreled and reblued in 204, love the rifle.

If you are not obsessed with a synthetic stock stock, try and pick up a pre 75 short action and have that rebarreled. Also think about a 20 Tac rather than a 223. Great wee tool.

Zeissman, I have a S491 rebarreled and reblued in 204, love the rifle.

If you are not obsessed with a synthetic stock stock, try and pick up a pre 75 short action and have that rebarreled. Also think about a 20 Tac rather than a 223. Great wee tool.

Thanks Brian,

What is the advantage of a pre75 rather than a 75 itself? Only cost? Have just got rid of my only synthetic stock (rather than wood) and wanted something that I could chuck around foxing, in a vehicle, etc. and not cry about so had assumed synthetic again but not fully decided.

All best,

Z.

Zeissman, the pre 75's are lovely little actions, when the 75 appeared there was up roar at the perceived reduction in quality over the previous generations.

The real advantage is that they can be picked up for less money than a 75 if you are looking for a donor for a rebuild. The down side is that there is very little by way of aftermarket parts for a custom job. Stocks in particular are hard to come by - hence my point about a synthetic stock being a must have.

I would have a 491 in a heart-beat in preference to a 75.

Back