Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dehumidifier thoughts

dehumidifier thoughts

Hi all. Just after some advice on dehumifiers please. In recent weeks the windows upstairs have started condensating a lot. Our girls rooms is worst and not good for their health. We only have a two bed semi and if we have the radiators on upstairs the rooms get really hot.
    What would you suggest the best way is to get the moisture levels down a bit please.

Regards Pete

Are they asthmatic...?? Are the windows single glaze.... Open the window that has the condensation slightly this will keep the condensation down and create the air to circulate.

Im asthmatic, damp conditions outside im fine with. Inside effects me terribly. My cottage is single payne glass so I leave a couple windows only slightly a jar allowing for the air to circulate.

When I was in the building trade I could never enter a house that was freshly plastered.
    Last edited by weeman; 24-11-2014 at 00:22.

Im a joiner by trade, not any more, the chances are the double glazing unit has blown - by that I mean the resin they use to make it a sealed unit will have comes away therefore letting the air get inside, providing they are double glazed units. The only way to stop this is to A, have them replaced, B, make sure they are fitted correctly by a reputable installer or a good joiner.

It sounds like mate the condensation is out side the units running down the glass (inside the property)
    To require a dehumidifier must be considerably bad. If the Windows are double glazed I can't see the cause of this being the units blown as when a unit normally blows the unit mist, fogs and has condensation inside the unit between the pains of glass.

Do you have extractor fan in bathroom for when the shower goes on, do you have an extractor fan for the kitchen. If you can remove moisture from showering and cooking it makes a big difference. Don't forget that you breath out a lot of water vapour as well, so ventilation is needed.

We live in an old Edinburgh flat with a conservation order on it. We still have the original 150 year old glass in the windows and in the winter they have condensation on them - it's inevitable. Thick curtains help along with thick wooly jumpers. We do have central heating and it keeps the flat at about 13 to 14 degrees, but to get it any warmer requires huge amounts of energy. We do light a smokeless coal fire in the living room and that makes a huge difference.

Circulation is the key. In a small room with even just a couple of people sleeping there, condensation can be a problem. Leaving a window open is one answer but won't be good when the weather is really cold. Leaving the door slightly ajar will help. Giving the room a good airing with an open window and door in the daytime is good. After a bath or shower, get the girls to dry themselves in the bathroom rather than their bedroom. A dehumidifier will obviously help, but will only get rid of the moisture that you really need to prevent at source. Plus it takes the dreaded electricity to keep running.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi all. Just after some advice on dehumifiers please. In recent weeks the windows upstairs have started condensating a lot. Our girls rooms is worst and not good for their health. We only have a two bed semi and if we have the radiators on upstairs the rooms get really hot.
    What would you suggest the best way is to get the moisture levels down a bit please.

Regards Pete
    I have a free standing dehumidifier that I bought to dry the house out after we had a burst pipe and it is very effective - but (as has been said) it does not cure the long term problem which needs to be rectified at source?

If it's of any use to you and you (or someone on SD) can find a way of collecting it from me (post code MK44, North Bedfordshire) and returning it then you are very welcome to borrow it to see if it helps your girls out? It would save forking out for one only to find it isn't any use?

Let me know.

ATB

Iain
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

as an outside chance have you got an unknown water leak. My house is fully double glazes with good units and I was getting bad condensation. Could never get to the bottom of it however some time later found i had a water leak in the kitchen and then had a a major leak in a C/H pipe in the lounge which was caused by a rust nail in a floor board touching a feed pipe must have started as a pin hole and leaked for years. Sorted the issue when both mended.

Re a dehumidifyer take a look at Meeco web site, I use a chemical unit in my cabinets but I am sure they do the real mecoy dehumidifiers for whole houses.

D

I lived in a 300 year old stone cottage with no double glazing and when we moved in it was 95% humidity! The guy who measured it couldnt believe that it was less humid outside where it was drizzling! We managed to get the condensation right down to 60-70%, which I believe is about right, after a couple of months of constant low heating (24 hours a day) and using a Delonghi dehumidifier from amazon a few hours a day. We were getting about 4 litres of water a day out of the air so they obviously work! We were debating whether to get one as ours cost about 150, but it was well worth it and when no longer needed we sold it for 100, so not bad.
    Hope you manage to get it sorted, nothing worst than damp and condensation in your house.

We have been using a free standing dehumidifier for 3 years put it on in morning and night when the heating is on.

we live in a small three bed house with single glazing.

when drying clothes on the radiators in winter and showering the house felt damp and cold.

they work best when the heating is on- warm moist air over the cold condenser.