soft shooting shotgun cartridge for game

Apache

I know this is not stalking, but a lot of you shoot shotguns too.

Finally got my wife to have a bit of a go on the pheasants on Saturday. She enjoyed herself but the only cartridges I had were RC 32g 5's. They are rather punchy, but I like them because they kill well.

Anything suitable for a lady with a light gun?

(for clays she uses 21G)

Thanks

I think there's a lot of psychology related to cartridges. "I like them because they kill well." I suggest she tries a few different brands and types and finds something she's comfy with. Recoil can be a perception and having a few shots at some clays will allow her to pick a cartridge for future use. It can be as simple as the colour!!

Didn't Rottweil make lovely pink cartridges that were so gentle to the armpit women prefer to go shopping?

Apache
try a 24 gram in a 5 or 6 this should be soft enough for your lady to enjoy her shooting
see if you can pick up three different makes and let her try to see which shoots the best
regards pete

I use Gamebore Black Gold with the GRS (gordon recoil system) that are claimed to reduce recoil by 15%.

Fibre wads are going to feel a bit punchier weight for weight, but a 24g load of 5 or 6 is adequate for normal height pheasants. Caledonian Classics are nice soft shooting fibre wad cartridges. I use the Caledoninan XL, photodegradable wad, so cushioning like a plastic wad.

Eley impax or Grand Prix kill well despite moderate recoil. Subsonics may be worth a go if they are too punchy. Both my son and recoil sensitive wife cope well with a 20 bore. Let me know if you want to borrow one to try

Malxwall, what you need is a well balanced hand made Browning 20g armed with Caledonian diamond shot 24gramme carts?????

Last edited:
The lighter the gun the less it will absorb the recoil....
For what they cost I would just buy 2/3 boxes of lighter loads from your local shop and see how they are...

On Saturday a 14 year old lad was knocking pheasants and partridges down very well....with a 28 gauge.

The birds were a reasonable height and were dead in the air....

Tim.243

The lighter the gun the less it will absorb the recoil....
For what they cost I would just buy 2/3 boxes of lighter loads from your local shop and see how they are...

On Saturday a 14 year old lad was knocking pheasants and partridges down very well....with a 28 gauge.

The birds were a reasonable height and were dead in the air....

Tim.243

I used a 32'' 28 bore for a few seasons , a great killer and punches well above it's weight !

Eley impax or Grand Prix kill well despite moderate recoil. Subsonics may be worth a go if they are too punchy. Both my son and recoil sensitive wife cope well with a 20 bore. Let me know if you want to borrow one to try

Appreciate the offer. She has an old Winchester 101 lightweight and a Beretta Ultralight. Both 12G.

TBH I'd never noticed a 'game' cartridge less than 28g, but not something I'd ever really looked for. When I chose a cartridge I tend to go heavier as I need all the help I can get! I imagined one of you would have been in a similar boat.

(I'm not sure about the Black Gold - I find them quite punchy).

(Apparently her shoulder still hurts :|)

The lighter the gun the more the recoil. Try her with a trap gun to prove my point.
The two guns she is using are probably as bad as it gets for recoil and flip.

Malxwall, what you need is a well balanced hand made Browning 20g armed with Caledonian diamond shot 24gramme carts?????

RD, what I need is a "sugar mummy", I can see me in the toy boy role...

As for the two guns in question, I've shot them both and found them to be kicky for sure, fine for carrying about all day, but not ideal for repetitive shooting at driven birds, maybe OK with 21g at clays.
(I have a nice affordable Miroku 28" 20 bore for sale...:coat:)

Last edited:
Appreciate the offer. She has an old Winchester 101 lightweight and a Beretta Ultralight. Both 12G.

TBH I'd never noticed a 'game' cartridge less than 28g, but not something I'd ever really looked for. When I chose a cartridge I tend to go heavier as I need all the help I can get! I imagined one of you would have been in a similar boat.

(I'm not sure about the Black Gold - I find them quite punchy).

(Apparently her shoulder still hurts :|)

Then get here a pair of these......in 28 bore....
Same gun same fit.....no black shoulder...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gj-PHmIolbx181qdQ&sig2=Fren9d69Ti7q5I25dhEnEg

Tim.243

I have also got a Beretta EELL in 28bore/28" with awesome wood for sale.
Cased, multi choke. Just had a full service and shot less than 400....

(for clays she uses 21G)

Should that read 12G or 20G ?

She has an old Winchester 101 lightweight and a Beretta Ultralight. Both 12G.

If recoil is causing her problems then as RED-DOT suggests, the heavier a gun she can comfortably shoot the less recoil she will feel. So switching to a 20G is not necessarily a helpful move if it is a lighter gun with the same load.

In terms of cartridges, for most small shoots that I have been on, 28gr of 6's through my 16 bore has been more than up to the job.

So I would try a 28gr load of 6's and see how she feels with them.

She could also consider a recoil pad, which I know some people rate.

The final thing to consider is whether the gun has been fitted to her, as the majority of shotguns have a butt and toe that are not suited to a ladys shoulder/chest, meaning that there is only a small area of contact through which the recoil is concentrated. The toe in particular can dig in.

I'd agree that Black Gold are thumpy. I've always found Hull to be quite gentle and use 30g of High Pheasant 5's on pretty much everything. They do an Imperial Game in 26g though, which should be a lovely soft shooting cartridge and miles away from the 32g loads she shot at the weekend.

Back