Thread: Bird Flu and closing down all hunting and shooting

Bird Flu and closing down all hunting and shooting

Dont be too afraid you British, it is "only" in the Netherlands that they are banning all hunting and shooting for the coming 3 weeks. (after a ban for a week already) The ministry says that these actions are taken because they do not want any disturbance of waterfowl and the spreading of the disease. I understand the last part, large scale bird flu is something you do not want. But why do i have to stop hunting in a densed wood on hoofed animals like for instance wild boar??

I wonder if they ban all activity in our floodplains, lakes, rivers and canals as recreation and commercial sailing / fishing are proven to disturb more birds then hunting. But "off course" all other activities are not banned.
    Also in other countries where there is an outbreak of bird flu like Germany and the UK, hunting and shooting is not banned. Is our Dutch ministry so right and the others so wrong or the other way around? Think it just to do with the fact that our government is anti hunting and will do anything to prevent us doing what we normally do.

On a positive note; plenty of spare time on my hands the coming weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by Holland&Holland View Post
    Dont be too afraid you British, it is "only" in the Netherlands that they are banning all hunting and shooting for the coming 3 weeks. (after a ban for a week already) The ministry says that these actions are taken because they do not want any disturbance of waterfowl and the spreading of the disease. I understand the last part, large scale bird flu is something you do not want. But why do i have to stop hunting in a densed wood on hoofed animals like for instance wild boar??

I wonder if they ban all activity in our floodplains, lakes, rivers and canals as recreation and commercial sailing / fishing are proven to disturb more birds then hunting. But "off course" all other activities are not banned.
    Also in other countries where there is an outbreak of bird flu like Germany and the UK, hunting and shooting is not banned. Is our Dutch ministry so right and the others so wrong or the other way around? Think it just to do with the fact that our government is anti hunting and will do anything to prevent us doing what we normally do.

On a positive note; plenty of spare time on my hands the coming weeks....
    I feel your pain , i am a poultry farm manager (chicken) and i have had to stop everything because of fear of contamination from wild birds migrating from the continent!

This at request of the company i work for and im not being "ordered" to stop hunting but my family home and job is not worth the possability of a bird flu break out . ill be back out at christmas provided we have no more cases here in the UK fingers crossed.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I do have to wonder how much science goes into these bans! Are there dedicated scientist sampling these flocks to verify presence of the pathogen, or are they just making a knee jerk response to appear to be doing something?

I was pleased to take part in a USA nationwide sampling several years back, and they even shared the results with the participants that wanted the data afterwards. During a weeklong wild fowling trip in the Dakotas we were approached by a US Fish and Wildlife Scientist who asked to sample our bag. Being agreeable, he then asked he he could return every other day, which we also agreed to.

The sampling for Avian Flu in American wildfowl involved a collection swap shoved in both ends of the bird, which was then sent off for analysis. I believe I still have a few photos, but I doubt anyone wants to see a duck with a QTip rammed up its bum.

H&H The Dutch Government....where do you start? get yourself over here for the next 3 weeks, you never know you may like it and stay like so many of your countrymen
    atb

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    H&H The Dutch Government....where do you start? get yourself over here for the next 3 weeks, you never know you may like it and stay like so many of your countrymen
    atb
    I am tempted, over the years i have visited the UK many times and have had great hospitality from several SD members and made great friends. The Dutch BASC is negotiating with the government to lift the ban for hoofed animals. There arguments make sense so hopefully they listen....