Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant weekend

Brilliant weekend

I have just got home after a fantastic weekend stalking with bigscott270 and kev.rem700. I was invited up to Scotland after being offered a free stalk by bigscott and I was more than happy to make the long journey up north.
    Saturday was spent mainly trying to track down the red deer that frequent the ground and after a long day and an absolute soaking in torrential rain we managed to get onto a red just before dusk. Unfortunately the deer was just that bit too far (400m) for me to take a shot comfortably with my rifle so I let the opportunity pass. There was no way we could of stalked any closer due to it being at the bottom of a grass field sloping downwards with us at the top of the slope with no cover and light rapidly diminishing.
    Sunday dawned bright and cold with low lying fog. We went to the same ground again to try and get amongst the reds at dawn but unfortunately they didn't show. So with that, Scott took me to another piece of ground where he expected there to be some roe.
    Sure enough, as soon as we stepped out of the vehicle we heard the bark of a roe somewhere in the fog. As we stalked the ground we commented on the frost that had formed and I wished I had brought my gloves as it was really bitter. We stalked across a field and up to the margins of a fence line just down the hill from a wooded area. I couldn't believe it when just as the fog started to thin out, Scott and kev both pointed out to me a roe doe stood 200m away halfway up the hill in front of us. She was broadside on and the hill made a perfect backstop for a safe shot. I tried to steady my rifle on a fence post as best I could as the adrenaline started pumping. In what seemed like an age, but most likely a few seconds I had her in my sights and took the shot. That was to be my first roe and my first deer with my own rifle. I was absolutly chuffed to bits and I just couldn't stop grinning after that all morning.
    upon inspecting the fallen roe, kev commented that it did indeed have small antler growths covered in velvet which is quite unusual for a doe and somthing to do with a hormonal inbalence. Scott informed me that this was a good one to take out and was very happy with the result.
    all in all I had an absolutely brilliant weekend with Scott and kev and learnt an aweful lot. Good stalking with good company.
    thanks Scott and kev for the invitation and thanks for putting me onto my first roe.

geth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by geth; 24-11-2014 at 09:43.

Well done everyone. SD membership at its best and most generous yet again. Thank you.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by geth View Post
    I have just got home after a fantastic weekend stalking with bigscott270 and kev.rem700. I was invited up to Scotland after being offered a free stalk by bigscott and I was more than happy to make the long journey up north.
    Saturday was spent mainly trying to track down the red deer that frequent the ground and after a long day and an absolute soaking in torrential rain we managed to get onto a red just before dusk. Unfortunately the deer was just that bit too far (400m) for me to take a shot comfortably with my rifle so I let the opportunity pass. There was no way we could of stalked any closer due to it being at the bottom of a grass field sloping downwards with us at the top of the slope with no cover and light rapidly diminishing.
    Sunday dawned bright and cold with low lying fog. We went to the same ground again to try and get amongst the reds at dawn but unfortunately they didn't show. So with that, Scott took me to another piece of ground where he expected there to be some roe.
    Sure enough, as soon as we stepped out of the vehicle we heard the bark of a roe somewhere in the fog. As we stalked the ground we commented on the frost that had formed and I wished I had brought my gloves as it was really bitter. We stalked across a field and up to the margins of a fence line just down the hill from a wooded area. I couldn't believe it when just as the fog started to thin out, Scott and kev both pointed out to me a roe doe stood 200m away halfway up the hill in front of us. She was broadside on and the hill made a perfect backstop for a safe shot. I tried to steady my rifle on a fence post as best I could as the adrenaline started pumping. In what seemed like an age, but most likely a few seconds I had her in my sights and took the shot. That was to be my first roe and my first deer with my own rifle. I was absolutly chuffed to bits and I just couldn't stop grinning after that all morning.
    upon inspecting the fallen roe, kev commented that it did indeed have small antler growths covered in velvet which is quite unusual for a doe and somthing to do with a hormonal inbalence. Scott informed me that this was a good one to take out and was very happy with the result.
    all in all I had an absolutely brilliant weekend with Scott and kev and learnt an aweful lot. Good stalking with good company.
    thanks Scott and kev for the invitation and thanks for putting me onto my first roe.

geth
    It was a pleasure having you geth glad we got you in to a deer in the end. It's was good to meet and help out a new comer to stalking. I got great pleasure seeing the shear joy in your face after the doe had fell You are welcome back anytime mate.I hope you enjoy your venison.

Cheers mate

Regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

You know this site and the lads on it never stop Surprising me with all the good deeds that are given out , well done you guys and well done Geth on your outing

Well done again geth. Glad you enjoyed yourself this weekend. Pity about us getting soaked lying out in a park on Saturday afternoon it would have been warmer staying in the bush wear shop or getting the scenic tour of Stirling but that's stalking for you as you know now. Will always remember the shot (shaking) from the fence post wait till your back up for a spot of buck fever next year.
    Again I take my hat off to you and making the long journey up THANK YOU...........scott

Well done guys sounds like you all had a great time and that's what it should be all about.
    Cheers

Well done and great first roe. You will remember this one.

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Well done and great first roe. You will remember this one.
    Cheers Greg. It made geths weekend and a memorable trip up here

I really enjoyed every minute and made some new friends aswell as bagging my first roe. I've now got a good lot of meat in the freezer and my mrs is well happy!
    Cheers again Scott and kev. I would be delighted to come and visit again during the buck season.
    Best regards.
    Geth.