Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pine Marten discovers that pheasants are just running boar that fly: thanks BSRC!

Pine Marten discovers that pheasants are just running boar that fly: thanks BSRC!

Good morning everyone.

On Saturday I was up in Durham for my first driven shoot in two years, which the same friends have been generous enough to invite me on every year for over a decade, together with Mrs PM and YPM (spectatingÖ). Now Iíve never been a very good shot with a shotgun, which is a bit of a problem as opportunities to actually shoot at something edible are few and far between. Iíve been using a shotgun, and one particular gun, for twenty years, but I was pretty much self-taught, not very good, and no talk of five-bar gates, footwork, tail-head-bang or anything seemed to make the slightest bit of difference to this. It was particularly galling for wildfowling as you work very hard and need a fair bit of luck to create opportunities, only to fluff them when they came.

This shoot (which I donít consider counts as hunting in any real sense but is good fun nonetheless and free for me to boot) is useful in that it provides a more or less measurable benchmark for the quality of my shooting over the years. Two things were clear and I was resigned to them. The first is that over the course of anything from 4 to six drives, I always averages a cartridge to kill ratio of 7:1 at best, more like 12:1 at worse. This is also with a variety of guns and cartridges over the years, none of which seemed to make any noticeable difference. Itís never been a kit issue. But within those days, Iíve been all over the place too. Iíve had the odd great drive, but I remember also shooting 36 shots for 1 duck, and firing 25 shots at essentially the same crossing pheasant a dozen times before hitting one. These things are just dynamite for my confidence. Someone put it quite well once and said that I didnít know what to do anymore because I had no idea of what success looked like.

Anyway, in the past two years, Iíve been attending the BSRC in Bisley regularly of not frequently, and making a point of taking my .22 for a spin on the running boar, and the running deer when itís not busy. To my surprise, after some early help offered by one particularly kind gentleman getting on in years, I found that I could hit these targets. Not all in the heart or the head, but the vast majority on the actual target at least, most somewhere that would kill the boar or deer. And so I thought that I would have nothing at all to lose by just pretending that all the birds were a flying driven boar target. I was unlikely to do worse. I just had to remember to acquire the target with the muzzles, pivot around the muzzles to bring the gun into the shoulder, pull ahead of it, swinging all the time, and pull the trigger, hoping for the best.

Well Iíll be damned if it didnít work like nobodyís business. I fired 92 cartridges for 20 birds (that I know of), better than 5:1 and so far better than Iíve ever done before. Whatís more, I jotted down the outcomes after each drive, and itís consistent all the way through: 6:1, 4.5:1, 4.5:1 again, oh, and again, and finally, finallyÖ Eighteen shots for five partridges ENDING WITH MY FIRST RIGHT-AND-LEFT ON ANYTHING EVER!!

To say I am happy is a bit of an understatement, I had more or less completely given up on ever being able to do this. Now Iím hardly one of the Great Shots, but if I can keep this up, I am at least perfectly competent. So thanks to the BSRC and all the kind people who have helped me!

Iím shooting again next weekend with friends on a low-key walk-one, stand-one day, and now I no longer dread that it will all be a washout.

go to a shooting ground and have a lesson, it will be money well spent,

however if you start hitting birds you may not get an invite again.

Sounds to me as though you've worked out a formula that works
    stick with it and enjoy
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    go to a shooting ground and have a lesson, it will be money well spent,

however if you start hitting birds you may not get an invite again.
    Oh I've paid for lessons, and it was good, but whereas I could learn to consistently hit the same few clays doing the same thing over and over again, it's not like that in the field, and you don't have a few practice pheasants to start with. The instructors would always send me on my way telling me that my shooting was fine. Except that it wasn't, I'd just learned to handle a small variety of targets on that particular ground.

I'm pretty sure I'll be invited again! My host awarded me a prize for best bird of the day, which he hadn't seen, but the old Geordie beater who's been watching me miss for ten years told him. It was a high hen pheasant over my to my right which I took behind. The beater shouted "Great shot!". "Thanks" I answered, "I'm quite proud of that". "Now just another fifty like that, lad".

Well done PM!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend, we must get more practice in down at the BSRC, you seem to have cracked it on moving targets - maybe there is hope for me too............
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Well done PM!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend, we must get more practice in down at the BSRC, you seem to have cracked it on moving targets - maybe there is hope for me too............
    Well, let's say that I am competent if not great. But the difference is that I now know HOW to practice! So if I had the time, I could grow better. That said yes, more use of the club would be good. Still waiting for that effing drilling to try out.

Still no delivery date sorted for that?!
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Oh, and when I pick up my .22 I will have more reason to head to the running boar range at the BSRC

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Still no delivery date sorted for that?!
    Nope. Last I heard was a week ago when William Evans confirmed to me that the German dealer has everything he could possibly need from this end, so presumably he's still waiting for the German export permit. I say presumably because he doesn't seem to be a man who believes in communicating when there is no news. They don't work Mondays so I'll ask WE to badger them again tomorrow morning.

Another thing: I've been using my Brno 12 bore SBS for twenty years, and for the first time this weekend I bruised my jaw shooting it. Also for the first time this weekend, I shot perfectly well. I wonder whether this means that the stock just doesn't fit, or whether it's a coincidence.