Thread: 1000th Post- POP! – Misfire Drill

Blog Entries

1000th Post- POP! – Misfire Drill

I wanted to use my 1000th post for something important rather than the usual forum banter. Excuse me teaching granny to suck eggs (some of you) but this doesn't have its own topic so I'm going to preach and its for you to decide if you want to listen.

Over the years that I have been a member on here one thing has raised itself from time to time that genuinely worries me. Some of us come up through the ranks with our Dads teaching us, as informal game or vermin shooters or even as DSC1 candidates with nobody teaching us proper misfire drill. In fairness misfires are fairly rare, maybe even 1 in a 1000 rounds of factory but if you keep shooting long enough then you will get one.

Since Obama took power in the US I’m certain there has been a rise in the number of shooters reloading due to the increase in ammunition costs with a greater or lesser level of success. Many have been forced by shortages to change well proven loads and moved out of established comfort zones. We are certainly seeing more reloading queries. However even factory loads fail and I hope this post will reinforce what to do when that happens and the round you fire goes Pop! Or sounds unusual rather than its usual BANG!

·Firstly STOP! Even a trophy beast is not worth the damage that you could be about to do to yourself.

·Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction for at least 30 seconds.

·Lower the gun to aim at the ground.

·Using as little as possible of your hand (Finger and thumb if possible) operate the bolt and draw back the misfired round carefully. Once clear of the chamber then extract as normal.

·Check if the bullet is still in the case. If it is then you can chamber a new round and carry on. Collect the misfired round and take it away with you.

·If there is no bullet in the case then you must stop and check that your bore is clear. If you cannot see down the bore then you must try to clear the bore. If you have a cleaning rod with you that might be something you can do in the field. If not then you will need to go home. Do not fire another round. You cannot clear the bore like this.

Here is a nice video of what happens if you don’t follow the above. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=163_1416082856

Shoot safely and remember this post when the shot sounds different.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 24-11-2014 at 13:34.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Nice one, good use of your 1000th post!

Good post I would add 2 points
    1. while rifle is pointing at the ground you can take opportunity to check the mag or drop floor plate and count rounds to see if there is one up the spout or bolt failed to feed
    2. use opposite hand from usual to operate bolt ie if right handed use left hand by reaching over the telescopic with breech ejector pointed away from you as you lift bolt so if it does go off no part of your arm or body is in the way
    D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlownHMR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	49529

This was an .17HMR round. There is a lot to be said, if you have a problem, to stop and go home because you might fall into the trap I did of misidentifying the problem. Better to think again away from the heat of the moment. There is of course a bit of a story behind this, in this case both I and the rifle (CZ452) live to shoot another day.

Congrats on your 10,000 posts.

Forgot to add, what also surprised me was how little force it took to remove both bullets from the barrel, just gentle taps on the rod with a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    I wanted to use my 1000th post for something important rather than the usual forum banter. Excuse me teaching granny to suck eggs (some of you) but this doesn't have its own topic so I'm going to preach and its for you to decide if you want to listen.

Over the years that I have been a member on here one thing has raised itself from time to time that genuinely worries me. Some of us come up through the ranks with our Dads teaching us, as informal game or vermin shooters or even as DSC1 candidates with nobody teaching us proper misfire drill. In fairness misfires are fairly rare, maybe even 1 in a 1000 rounds of factory but if you keep shooting long enough then you will get one.

Since Obama took power in the US I’m certain there has been a rise in the number of shooters reloading due to the increase in ammunition costs with a greater or lesser level of success. Many have been forced by shortages to change well proven loads and moved out of established comfort zones. We are certainly seeing more reloading queries. However even factory loads fail and I hope this post will reinforce what to do when that happens and the round you fire goes Pop! Or sounds unusual rather than its usual BANG!

·Firstly STOP! Even a trophy beast is not worth the damage that you could be about to do to yourself.

·Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction for at least 30 seconds.

·Lower the gun to aim at the ground.

·Using as little as possible of your hand (Finger and thumb if possible) operate the bolt and draw back the misfired round carefully. Once clear of the chamber then extract as normal.

·Check if the bullet is still in the case. If it is then you can chamber a new round and carry on. Collect the misfired round and take it away with you.

·If there is no bullet in the case then you must stop and check that your bore is clear. If you cannot see down the bore then you must try to clear the bore. If you have a cleaning rod with you that might be something you can do in the field. If not then you will need to go home. Do not fire another round. You cannot clear the bore like this.

Here is a nice video of what happens if you don’t follow the above. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=163_1416082856

Shoot safely and remember this post when the shot sounds different.
    Nothing to pull apart in this so a serious waste of your 1000th post!

K

The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Knowing what to and NOT to do in a situation is something it's easy to take for granted, so well done for sharing.
    When I shot in cadets as a teenager the actual marksmanship coaching was rubbish, however one thing they did teach well was skills and drills, and familiarity with the various rifles we were using, including the misfire drill.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog