Waterproof gloves that ...Work !

Peter Eaton

After shooting this weekend in Oxford with a few guys off here, can anyone recommend me a pair of gloves that are both warm and wet. I like man am most likely sick to their back teeth of purchasing gloves advertised as fitting the bill. The gloves I had work over the weekend were sealskins and they to were sodden after a few hours of constant heavy rain in the high seat, that surprised me I have to say. I am now erring towards a skiing type gloves as I saw some in a ski shop, by no means cheap but if I had been offered them on Sunday at 7 am in the poring rain I would have ripped your arm off ! ))

On the bright side I have at last found a decent set of trousers and jacket, Ridgeline Monsoon, the latest version, which is 100 % waterproof for sure and I did not boil in the bag as some folk did with the old version. Note though I made sure I had decent wicking clothing base layers.

Cheers in advance. ))

Try a pair of neoprene diving or fishing gloves, you`ll get wet, but you stay warm. Bought a cheap pair when I was on my way out to do some seal hunting a couple of years ago, and had forgotten my regular gloves. It`s pretty cold at sea in January and February, but they did the job.

If you want neoprene then look at a pair of prologic cammo gloves, they are very good, you can fold back the fingers if need be. I have had a pair for decades and cannot fault them, they will get wet but will be warm. If you go ski gloves then they must be gortex, do be tempted to buy anything else. Matalan/tk max might be a good place to start otherwise ski shop. In prologic you will probably need large, ski glove fitting is down to individual makers.

D

Aidi had some neoprene fishing gloves, do the job ok and one of the local petrol stations has an offer on for thinsulate gloves at £6 if you want to be really posh

After shooting this weekend in Oxford with a few guys off here, can anyone recommend me a pair of gloves that are both warm and wet. I like man am most likely sick to their back teeth of purchasing gloves advertised as fitting the bill. The gloves I had work over the weekend were sealskins and they to were sodden after a few hours of constant heavy rain in the high seat, that surprised me I have to say. I am now erring towards a skiing type gloves as I saw some in a ski shop, by no means cheap but if I had been offered them on Sunday at 7 am in the poring rain I would have ripped your arm off ! ))

On the bright side I have at last found a decent set of trousers and jacket, Ridgeline Monsoon, the latest version, which is 100 % waterproof for sure and I did not boil in the bag as some folk did with the old version. Note though I made sure I had decent wicking clothing base layers.

Cheers in advance. ))

You must be unlucky, my 2 pairs of Sealskinz gloves are 100% waterproof???

I have the green woollen ultra grip type and also the hunting gloves, with the fingers that DO NOT fold back. Neither have ever let me down in some nasty wet and cold weather.

Sealskins work for me to. Had them out in heavy rain a few times and not leaked in any other part except the fold back fingers but that's acceptable for the design and intended purpose. kept me warm as well.

There have been a lot of fake SealSkinz out there.

Amazon recently had a seller offering discounted SealSkinz Activity Gloves. I bought a pair (they were £10 or thereabouts) and they've been great. They seem to be genuine. I tested them (full immersion for 30secs, clench/unclench fist) and they remained totally dry inside:

I bought a pair for the wife and father in law, subsequently.

Problem is, the popularity of the size determines the cost: £10-15 for less popular, £40-50 for popular, all from same seller.

I've just had a look at the place I bought from- the cheapest size is now up to £35.

Look up jackal outdoors - they do s good sealskin alternative demtec I believe they are called I have used them for two years and am very happy

Cheers in advance. ))

Didn't need them for the Monday morning, did you.:oops:

Pair of plain black 3mm neoprene unnamed diving gloves .... Be around 20-25 quid and still keep good dexterity .... Hands will be wet but warm .... Might find thinner again if look hard .... Avoid those with extra padded finger tips
Don't get 5mm ... Yes hands warm but no feeling hardly too bulky

Paul

For lowland roe I use Sealskinz and they are fine but not waterproof. For hill reds I wear a goretex lined skiing mitt as I found it is easier to get your hand back into a mitt when its cold and wet than into a glove.

I have a well worn pair of Sealskin hunters. . . They have remained completely waterproof.
The only downside I have found is that if you take then off they are near impossible to get back on with anything other than completely dry hands.

You must be unlucky, my 2 pairs of Sealskinz gloves are 100% waterproof???

I have the green woollen ultra grip type

I have these and while waterproof they're not too warm. I guess this has something (everything?) to do with having the waterproof layer beneath the woollen layer.

I had sealskin hunters...cold, wet and I could never get them off without pulling them inside out...hopeless!

Hmmm , not sure why my Seal skins let me down then, I have two pairs but slightly different , I might try the immersion trick and see if they both stand up to that test.

Cheers guys

Back