Bushpig

MJ75

All booked in for bushpig next june. Has anyone on here hunted these? If so, how did you go about it? Lets see your pics...

when I was a student in liverpool I used to go hunting bushpigs in the grafton rooms. I hear its been knocked down since. Good luck with the hunt.

All booked in for bushpig next june. Has anyone on here hunted these? If so, how did you go about it? Lets see your pics...

Hunedt at night in the Mealy fields. You walk quietly into where you hear them munching and then switch a light on. Watch them run... You'll have two seconds to get them.

Stan

I was very lucky to take a Bushpig with my first shot, on my first African hunt back in 2010. He came into the waterhole at 9 am which i am told is quite IMG_0048.jpgrare to see them in the day.

image.jpg
Agreed very tough hunt with dogs in the eastern cape but one of the most exciting hunts I've done

yes i've hunted them very hard work but great fun.

where are you going to be doing it ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Victory01 - Off to the Eastern Cape in June next year. After bushbuck and bushpig amongst others. I fancy trying for bushpig as they're something different. I've been told that there are no guarantees though.

The plan will be over baits at nights, though I'm told some were seen on a property I hunted kudu on earlier this year early morning. We'll be back there after other species, so if we do witness a rare daytime sighting they may be taken then.

I did ask about Bushpig in Zimbabwe last week. The guide said he'd never seen one! In Limpopo earlier in the year, they were telling me they bait them. I'd be interested to hear more about the dog stuff. Dd they eventually "bay" it?

Yes they did bay it eventually goathunter1...they would circle the pig which would fight them off then run off and then get circled again and so on...my hunt lasted around 3 hours which was exhausting but exhilarating.I ended up flat on my stomach sliding through the mud under bushes to take the shot ( of course being mindful of the dogs). I tried unsuccessfully on a previous trip to take one over bait, a big pig came in one night at exactly the same time my "PH" got a text from his bird which ended that evenings outing....

Oooooooops. Naughty PH! You can imagine if it was you the abuse you would have got. On the previous trip were you baiting them with maize - or what?

Maize soaked in beer mate,really yeasty and also the weeks grulloch,they put the maze in a huge pot with a lid on so when the pigs came in we would hear it getting knocked over so we could then switch on the red filtered light for a shot...then he got the text lol, funny looking back on it but I was ****ed off and let him know about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 29
Dogs will bay them but I've seen them kill dogs before the best way to hunt bush pig is to go Facebook and find Clive Curtis his DVDs showed me a whole new way to do it

Mission completed. Took this boar, estimated to be over 70 kg a few nights ago. A nice size for the local area by all accounts.

Back