Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 winchester

30-30 winchester

Hi folks,

i was was just wondering what people's opinions are on 30-30 caliber and specifically what people have to say about Marlin 30-30aw's with micro groove barrel?

regards,
    Gixer

I love my 30-30 but its a special edition winchester, couldn't find a marlin when i started looking, a friend has just taken a marlin and is eagerly awaiting delivery, I also am using cast bullets in mine for dispatch and tracking work, its a cracking round I don't think you will go far wrong, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wayne,

thanks for the input, I have 2 win94's at home in the UK (one 22LR and one 22WMR) but am in the uk for a while and it seems a shame to not own a 30-30 and have seen a marlin.

whats the opinions on marlin vs win?

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Wayne,

thanks for the input, I have 2 win94's at home in the UK (one 22LR and one 22WMR) but am in the uk for a while and it seems a shame to not own a 30-30 and have seen a marlin.

whats the opinions on marlin vs win?

regards,
    Gixer
    Marlins are smoother in operation and easy to scope. I have a couple of Marlins and a couple of Winchester's. I have owned half a dozen of each. If you like the Marlin, buy it. ~Muir

I've owned quite a few Marlins in most models and caliber , and still own two , an 1895 in 45/70 and a 336 BL in 30-30 . I like Winchester , but I find the Marlins fit me better , are far easier to clean and mounting a scope is never a problem . The last point wasn't a huge consideration until I hit about 50 years of age and couldn't see the issue sights anymore .

The Micro- Groove rifling works well with jacketed bullets , but some have troubles with cast bullets giving mediocre accuracy . I shoot hard casts in my 45/70 , but this has the newer Ballard style of rifling . If you have a chance to pick up a 336, give it a try , they're a good reliable little rig , I can't ever see the day when I wouldn't own one . They're a perfect walking around , general purpose rifle .

AB

I have a 1953 Model 336 C (?) with Ballard rifling, a half magazine and 22 inch barrel. I've never shot it.
    Agreed about cast bullets and Micro-Groove barrels. The best results for me came from HARD (heat treated) over sized bullets. But them, the best was still only fair.~Muir

This made me think of all the 30-30's I've owned. One of my favorites was a cast bullet bench rest rifle made on a Swedish Mauser. It was a single shot, had a speed lock installed, cocked on opening, and had a Douglas "XX" air gaged 1-10" twist barrel in a heavy stock. It had a Dayton Traister trigger. With weighed and sorted bullets that rifle would shoot .5", 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Not good enough to win an unlimited class match but that was with me shooting!~Muir

PS: This is one of my current 30-30 favorites. Kinda kicks.....
    Last edited by Muir; 26-11-2014 at 03:35.

Well, there's now a 30-30 added to the house...hopefully get out to try it out in the next few days...

which peep sights are good as the couple i have seen are up at the $100 mark.

regards,
    gixer

Also, the first 4 digits of the serial number are 0505 - does this mean it was manufactured in 1995?

regards,
    gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Well, there's now a 30-30 added to the house...hopefully get out to try it out in the next few days...

which peep sights are good as the couple i have seen are up at the $100 mark.

regards,
    gixer
    Have a look at the Lyman aperture sights they really are first rate, far better than the ones offered by Williams in my opinion. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...eiver-peep.php
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.