30-30 winchester

I was in academy sports and the leverreveloution rounds are like $38 vs the 150gr ppu sp's at $15 - can there really be $22 of difference in the way these perform???

regards,
Gixer

Yeah , I'd go with the PPU . I've used the leverreveloution in a few 30/30's , it shot well enough , but the cartridges reputation was built on the old standard round nose 150's and 170's . Personally , I've always preferred the 170's . They drop a little faster , but not enough to worry about at the ranges that a 30/30 will be used at . One of the largest Black Bears I've seen was taken by an old friend of mine with a Dominion 170 gr soft point ( god , that'll date me ) at about 75 yards . It broke the onside shoulder and wrecked the chest , he dug out the remains of the bullet on the off-side of its chest . A 150 might have done the job , but I like a heavier bullet in a 30/30 general use .

For deer down your way gixer , the 150 gr would probably perform better . I don't think you'll run into many 400 plus pound bears down there lol . To be honest , the only reason I use the 170's is I do run into some large , toothy things while I'm deer hunting . A 30/30 isn't my idea of an ideal bear round , but in close it will do the job .

AB

I have not tried the Leverevollution bullets, but to my mind, if you want a little more reach and flatter trajectory, just load some 125-gr spitzer bullets. I do that, and they shoot very well...all you need for smaller deer ( under 150 lbs ) inside 200 yards. Same for loading up a 150-gr spitzer as your first bullet in the tube.

Back