30-30 winchester

gixer1

Hi folks,

i was was just wondering what people's opinions are on 30-30 caliber and specifically what people have to say about Marlin 30-30aw's with micro groove barrel?

regards,
Gixer

I love my 30-30 but its a special edition winchester, couldn't find a marlin when i started looking, a friend has just taken a marlin and is eagerly awaiting delivery, I also am using cast bullets in mine for dispatch and tracking work, its a cracking round I don't think you will go far wrong, atb wayne

Wayne,

thanks for the input, I have 2 win94's at home in the UK (one 22LR and one 22WMR) but am in the uk for a while and it seems a shame to not own a 30-30 and have seen a marlin.

whats the opinions on marlin vs win?

regards,
Gixer

Wayne,

thanks for the input, I have 2 win94's at home in the UK (one 22LR and one 22WMR) but am in the uk for a while and it seems a shame to not own a 30-30 and have seen a marlin.

whats the opinions on marlin vs win?

regards,
Gixer

Marlins are smoother in operation and easy to scope. I have a couple of Marlins and a couple of Winchester's. I have owned half a dozen of each. If you like the Marlin, buy it. ~Muir

I've owned quite a few Marlins in most models and caliber , and still own two , an 1895 in 45/70 and a 336 BL in 30-30 . I like Winchester , but I find the Marlins fit me better , are far easier to clean and mounting a scope is never a problem . The last point wasn't a huge consideration until I hit about 50 years of age and couldn't see the issue sights anymore .

The Micro- Groove rifling works well with jacketed bullets , but some have troubles with cast bullets giving mediocre accuracy . I shoot hard casts in my 45/70 , but this has the newer Ballard style of rifling . If you have a chance to pick up a 336, give it a try , they're a good reliable little rig , I can't ever see the day when I wouldn't own one . They're a perfect walking around , general purpose rifle .

AB

I have a 1953 Model 336 C (?) with Ballard rifling, a half magazine and 22 inch barrel. I've never shot it.
Agreed about cast bullets and Micro-Groove barrels. The best results for me came from HARD (heat treated) over sized bullets. But them, the best was still only fair.~Muir

This made me think of all the 30-30's I've owned. One of my favorites was a cast bullet bench rest rifle made on a Swedish Mauser. It was a single shot, had a speed lock installed, cocked on opening, and had a Douglas "XX" air gaged 1-10" twist barrel in a heavy stock. It had a Dayton Traister trigger. With weighed and sorted bullets that rifle would shoot .5", 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Not good enough to win an unlimited class match but that was with me shooting!:rolleyes:~Muir

PS: This is one of my current 30-30 favorites. Kinda kicks.....
TCcontender3030RED.jpg%7E320x480

Last edited:
Well, there's now a 30-30 added to the house...hopefully get out to try it out in the next few days...

which peep sights are good as the couple i have seen are up at the $100 mark.

regards,
gixer

Also, the first 4 digits of the serial number are 0505 - does this mean it was manufactured in 1995?

regards,
gixer

Well done you'll love it! I've got Skinner sights for my Marlin 39M .22 but still have a small scope on the .30/30. Marlin Spares UK Home - MarlinSpares.comMarlinSpares.com | The cheapest place to buy Marlin Spares in the UK! is a very useful source for anything Marlin and stock the Skinner sights. You can also find the Skinner sights here 1895 Sight

Date your Marlin on this site Marlin Model 336 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ATB

Last edited:
Also, the first 4 digits of the serial number are 0505 - does this mean it was manufactured in 1995?

regards,
gixer

Just realised the date website on Wikipedia is not very complete.

CORRECTION
I think your rifle was manufactured in 1995, as it starts with a 05. There is a full manufacturing code on the 'Marlin Spares' website.

Found the one I have. . .

View attachment MARLIN Manufacturing Date Code.pdf

Last edited:
The bludgers- the one that I bought some time ago was steel and a proper fully adjustable sight not just the screw pinch type of the cheaper Williams.

The bludgers- the one that I bought some time ago was steel and a proper fully adjustable sight not just the screw pinch type of the cheaper Williams.

I know. I was pi$$ed.:mad:
Frankly, I don't mind the opposing screw windage or the single scew/wedge elevation. Lyman and Redfield both had similar arrangements at one time and I can tell you that once you get them set, they stay set. I have a 30-40 Krag Jorgensen that has not needed a tweak since 1983.~Muir

The last time I ordered a Lyman #66 Receiver Sight I was shocked to find it aluminum instead of steel. That makes them on par with Williams in my view.~Muir

Yes, how much money could you save by changing from steel to aluminum?
As a manufacturing consultant, my answer is... pennies.
And how many customers will you lose by removing that product differentiation and quality? Thousands.

The nice thing about the Lyman is the push button quick removal of the bridge, so you can use the leaf sight or a scope in QD or coin screw rings, on a rail.

I have several Marlins, and am shopping for an older Lyman steel receiver sight for one of them, a half magazine 30-30 with a 24-inch barrel. I have replaced the front bead with a Lyman 17A target sight with inserts. I have some 125-gr and 150-gr spitzer handloads for use a my "poor man's 1885 single shot". The Micro-groove barrel shoots very well for me.

This made me think of all the 30-30's I've owned. One of my favorites was a cast bullet bench rest rifle made on a Swedish Mauser. It was a single shot, had a speed lock installed, cocked on opening, and had a Douglas "XX" air gaged 1-10" twist barrel in a heavy stock. It had a Dayton Traister trigger. With weighed and sorted bullets that rifle would shoot .5", 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Not good enough to win an unlimited class match but that was with me shooting!:rolleyes:~Muir

PS: This is one of my current 30-30 favorites. Kinda kicks.....
TCcontender3030RED.jpg%7E320x480

Nice Contender , I've always liked them . On a similar vein , a younger acquaintance of mine built a very cool full stocked 35 Rem on a Carcano action and a twenty inch barrel , with a little work the en-bloc clips even worked . I donated a double set trigger assembly to the project . It was definitely a very handy and reliable deer rifle for the thick stuff . I've been thinking about building something along the same lines on a Swedish M38 action I have . The smaller rim size might give some trouble , but it would be slick . So many plans , so little time lol .

AB

Nice Contender , I've always liked them . On a similar vein , a younger acquaintance of mine built a very cool full stocked 35 Rem on a Carcano action and a twenty inch barrel , with a little work the en-bloc clips even worked . I donated a double set trigger assembly to the project . It was definitely a very handy and reliable deer rifle for the thick stuff . I've been thinking about building something along the same lines on a Swedish M38 action I have . The smaller rim size might give some trouble , but it would be slick . So many plans , so little time lol .

AB

Build a 358 on that Swede. The bolt face will work just fine and you'll be better set. Never liked the 35 Rem much after dealing with it in a Contender. The almost non-existent shoulder kept giving headspace problems and sizing to fit the chamber had to be very precise. I did, however, consider a 35 Rem (or 30 Rem) on a 1903 Greek Mannlicher action once. 30 Rem fed perfectly. The 35 would have needed some work on the spool. I gave the action away, eventually.

On the subject of Contenders..... If you ever run across a 256 Winchester Magnum barrel (especially a 14") I will gladly buy it. One of my favorites.~Muir

I'll keep an eye open for a 256 barrel . To be honest , I didn't know that TC chambered Contender barrels for 256 WM . I always wanted to try one in 357 Herret , that would definitely be a bit punchy.

You're right about the 358win. I've been looking in vain for a Savage 99 in 358 for a number of years , so I might just break down and do it .

To bring this back to the 30/30 , how common are the Remington 788's in 30/30 in your parts ? I had a Savage 340 in 30/30 years ago that shot quite well , IT WAS UGLY , but it shot well . I always wanted to see how accurate the 30WCF could be and I thought a 788 would be a good platform to do it on .

AB

I'll keep an eye open for a 256 barrel . To be honest , I didn't know that TC chambered Contender barrels for 256 WM . I always wanted to try one in 357 Herret , that would definitely be a bit punchy.

You're right about the 358win. I've been looking in vain for a Savage 99 in 358 for a number of years , so I might just break down and do it .

To bring this back to the 30/30 , how common are the Remington 788's in 30/30 in your parts ? I had a Savage 340 in 30/30 years ago that shot quite well , IT WAS UGLY , but it shot well . I always wanted to see how accurate the 30WCF could be and I thought a 788 would be a good platform to do it on .

AB

I've had a several 788's in 30-30 and think I still have one residing for now at a buddy's house in New Mexico along with same in 44 magnum. The 30-30's are great rifles. I shot 167 grain RCBS cast bullets in mine (30-165-SIL) over 4895 and shot some enviable groups. One of the things abut the 30-30 788's that I've found is that in about half of them, the front sight mounting screw hole was drilled all the way into the bore**. Hated the Savages due to the crummy triggers and sheet metal scope mounts. Accurate though.~Muir

** Which is why I laugh when I hear someone say that a single pit ruined the accuracy of their rifle.

Back