Thread: Returning under warranty to USA

Returning under warranty to USA

I am in the unfortunate position of having to return a scope to the USA for a repair under warranty. How do I go about this, which forms do I need to fill in, what do I need to declare and how, which Courier would you use etc. I have been advised that I don't need to have it insured as the company I am dealing with are insured for damage/loss in transit. I don't want to be in a position that I declare the scope at its full value only to be slammed by customs charges when it is just for repair only, to be returned and slammed again by UK customs when it comes back. Its all pretty daunting really. Is there a contact in the USA that I can email for further info on how to go about this, or do any of our USA SD members have any insider knowledge that would help? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
    Earlier this year I returned a scope to USA for a warranty repair. I used Global Express to send it and, with insurance, it cost less than 30. Their website lets you put in your product details in order to set insurance value and gives a total cost. Their service is entirely trackable and they generate all of the necessary customs notices and declarations for you to stick to the outside of your parcel. They delivered to destination within 2 days of collecting from me.
    From memory their site also has a link to HM customs and excise for the purpose of determining the code for the goods you are sending. There can be a little confusion here and you may need to speak to HM C & E to get the correct code; but it is quite straightforward and there are no costs involved.

You would do well to speak to UK Border Force as, when the scope comes back into this country you may well be charged duty, which you shouldn't, and in addition to this the Post Office will also make a charge if duty is payable as they are the duty collection agency for Border Force. They should be able to advise you n how to avoid these charges. At the time I wasn't aware of UK procedures and was charged. I appealed on the grounds duty had been paid when the scope was originally imported and couldn,t be charged twice - they agreed and made a refund, however the Post Office refused a refund and I couldn't be bothered to take them to task.

When sending your scope to the manufacturer it may be worthwile to send them a covering letter asking them to place a note on the return packaging advising UK customs that the scope is being returned to the UK after Free of Charge warranty work has been carried out. It may save you the hassle of claiming duty back.

Incidentally, you will probably find that your scope will be posted back using US POSTAL SERVICES - this can take up to 5, yes, 5 weeks!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfoot1 View Post
    Hi,
    Earlier this year I returned a scope to USA for a warranty repair. I used Global Express to send it and, with insurance, it cost less than 30. Their website lets you put in your product details in order to set insurance value and gives a total cost. Their service is entirely trackable and they generate all of the necessary customs notices and declarations for you to stick to the outside of your parcel. They delivered to destination within 2 days of collecting from me.
    From memory their site also has a link to HM customs and excise for the purpose of determining the code for the goods you are sending. There can be a little confusion here and you may need to speak to HM C & E to get the correct code; but it is quite straightforward and there are no costs involved.

You would do well to speak to UK Border Force as, when the scope comes back into this country you may well be charged duty, which you shouldn't, and in addition to this the Post Office will also make a charge if duty is payable as they are the duty collection agency for Border Force. They should be able to advise you n how to avoid these charges. At the time I wasn't aware of UK procedures and was charged. I appealed on the grounds duty had been paid when the scope was originally imported and couldn,t be charged twice - they agreed and made a refund, however the Post Office refused a refund and I couldn't be bothered to take them to task.

When sending your scope to the manufacturer it may be worthwile to send them a covering letter asking them to place a note on the return packaging advising UK customs that the scope is being returned to the UK after Free of Charge warranty work has been carried out. It may save you the hassle of claiming duty back.

Incidentally, you will probably find that your scope will be posted back using US POSTAL SERVICES - this can take up to 5, yes, 5 weeks!!
    That is excellent advice Pinkfoot, exactly what I need. I will look into this straight away. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it may just save me some hassle and money.

SD Regular
    I have ALWAYS found standard US Postal Services "Priority Airmail" to be an excellent service. Any delay being not of their making but here in the UK where the packages are held for assessment by UK Customs. Items from posting in US to arriving in UK being measured in days...not weeks.

I think an email to UK Customs...and their reply if enclosed in a sticky clear Documents Enclosed pouch affixed on outside of package would be, like others say, a wise measure.