Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric knife sharpener

Electric knife sharpener

Does anyone use or can anyone recommend an electric knife sharpener, i use various pocket knife sharpeners at the moment to get a useable edge while out in the field but i was thinking about using an electiric type at home to get a really good consistant sharp edge.

Any advice would be appreicated.

I use the basic model from Bushwear,I think it cost around 50.As it's the only one i've used i couldn't say how good it was against other models but it works for me and gives an edge that will shave the hairs from the back off your hand.

deerhunter270

Sharpener

The Knife Wizard is a great bit of kit, resharpen your knife in about 30 sec with a really good edge , well worth the money.

a cooking friend of mine told me about this one and they are brilliant. its on amizon for about 10 its a global sharpener small round blue one you just stick it down with its suction cup base and pull the knife through. i could'nt belive it when i first tried one but i carry one in the car now well worth a look.

I would only use one on a knife I wasn't too bothered about as it'll remove a fair bit of steel in the process of sharpening. On a good knife I use a Starkiesharp diamond sharpener,it's got flat coarse and fine sides and folds away to store.

fraser

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bunnydan View Post
    a cooking friend of mine told me about this one and they are brilliant. its on amizon for about 10 its a global sharpener small round blue one you just stick it down with its suction cup base and pull the knife through. i could'nt belive it when i first tried one but i carry one in the car now well worth a look.
    I am going to try this 7.50 worth a try, if its crap it can go with my assortment of sharpening paraphernalia!

In my experience those drag through sharpeners will destroy a knife edge eventually,they seem ok for a bit but beware,i wouldn't do it to a good quality knife.
    Neil

Never used an electric sharpener so I don't know, but on the subject of sharpening does anyone know the correct way to use a butchers steel, when I use it knife seems sharp but a couple of strokes and its blunt again so I am obviously doing something wrong any ideas.

A steel is only used to knock the shoulders or burs of. I f your loosing the edge too quick try sharpening at 15 or 20 deg.