Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Africa Permit - Changes real or not For Seasoned Hunters

South Africa Permit - Changes real or not For Seasoned Hunters

Guys,

Those of us who regularly go down and get our permits on arrival are used to;

1. Original Passport
    2. Original FAC.
    3. Original letter from your outfitter "inviting you"
    4. Your printout of your "flight ticket" aka your electronic ticket.
    5. SAPS 520 form filled in but not signed or dated.

These should be in colour aka original.

You should take photocopies of these IN BLACK AND WHITE (no need for SAPS 520) so as not to confuse with the originals. Best to copy them slightly offset to reinforce the "copy".

GIVE the copies to the police officer and say "they are for you, good to be back". State that you have your originals "here". I do not profer them. You then sign and date on the two places on the SAPS 520 form. (I always have a backup in case of f**k up). Once they type your name into the Commodore 64 and see your history and get you processed quickly.

You will then find yourself waiting for your rifles to arrive. As soon as you see yours say "THERE'S MINE" and intimate for them to be passed over. PC will then check the serial numbers and you will be invited to sign the register and be handed several pages that you will put in your bag and only take out again just after checking on your way back out the Country, aka your permit.

You are then free to go. Simples.

NOW IF THERE ARE ANY CHANGES to this for regular travellers it would be nice to know.

Please do not "contaminate" with issues experienced by using a meet & greet service.

Stan

May I suggest that Malc or one of the admins 'stickies' this very useful thread so it doesn't get lost over time.

my recent experience matches what stan writes. i have noticed the request for export licence on other threads.

perhaps someone who has actually dealt with this could comment?

also lol at the commodore 64 remark.

In Joburg they now have a copy of a UK customs export permit on the wall. It seems to be the logic of the SAPS as PHASA know nothing about it. UK customs also know nothing about it but will issue the permit to you when you check the rifle through to them. They try not to as it takes time but will if you insist and tell them South Africa now needs it.
    You will eventually get through SA customs if you do not have one but they will play up and just cause aggravation.
    If anyone needs any help please let me know.
    Cheers
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

Quote Originally Posted by Safari Hunter View Post
    In Joburg they now have a copy of a UK customs export permit on the wall. It seems to be the logic of the SAPS as PHASA know nothing about it. UK customs also know nothing about it but will issue the permit to you when you check the rifle through to them. They try not to as it takes time but will if you insist and tell them South Africa now needs it.
    You will eventually get through SA customs if you do not have one but they will play up and just cause aggravation.
    If anyone needs any help please let me know.
    Cheers
    Adrian
    Adrian,

Useful information. Now, how do you get one when you route out of a UK airport that has no customs if you are going through a hub like Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich etc.

Don't assume Border Force handle Customs.

Purpose of this thread. Realtime feedback of the regulars going through Jo'burg and noticing real change.

Stan

Aye well I was one of the folk that suffered with this bloody export certificate. They have them on the wall and point at them saying you need one. Of course eventually I got through but it was nerve wracking for a while - " we will confiscate your rifles!"
    I will certainly be trying to get something in future.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Aye well I was one of the folk that suffered with this bloody export certificate. They have them on the wall and point at them saying you need one. Of course eventually I got through but it was nerve wracking for a while - " we will confiscate your rifles!"
    I will certainly be trying to get something in future.
    goathunter1,

How many times have you been down?

Stan

Adrian - Thanks for the update.

Does anyone have a current list of UK airports that you can depart from with firearms? I believe some changes have been made recently but am not 100% sure as to which ones. I think that would also be useful for people planning on hunting abroad.

Can't find any info on any of the smaller airports that do this but I am led to believe that all airports have customs officers and in law they must deal with firearms the same way as Heathrow etc. They then should have the relevant forms required. I guess if anybody is looking to fly from a smaller airport they should be checking with the airline and the airport first. I know Heathrow is a long way down but I always recommend everyone to travel from there.
    Cheers
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

Manchester and Birmingham and Humberside and Luton outbound is all handled by the airline. No customs or police involvment.

Stan