Thread: Advice on mitshubishi shogun

Advice on mitshubishi shogun

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with the 4 whel drive not working on there shogun.
    I have a 2004 shogun which will not go into 4 wheel drive had it to a local garage but they cannot find the problem.
    Thanks clint

Quote Originally Posted by woody1978 View Post
    Hi just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with the 4 whel drive not working on there shogun.
    I have a 2004 shogun which will not go into 4 wheel drive had it to a local garage but they cannot find the problem.
    Thanks clint

Have a look here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...80642063,d.d2s

Steve.

Does the 4wd light light up at all or flash or nothing?

Is the dash display flashing but the 4wd not engaging? Could be the control solenoids? If one has gone then get them all changed.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by woody1978 View Post
    Thanks clint

My Shogun LWB was a 2005 and it did the opposit, it jammed in low ratio

Disconected the battery and let it stand then reconected the battery and hey presto

Aparently the electronic gearbox can get confused

Dont know if it will work for you but did for me

ATB

Mark

If they are anything like my old Pajero (pretty sure they are) then it's all controlled by vacuum actuators and solenoid valves. The Pajeros were notorious for getting sticky when the 4wd wasn't used very often. It might just need exercising a bit or a good clean up and lube. Failing that it could be anything to do with the vacuum line or valves/solenoids.

There are some differences from model model and certain years but basically the 4 wheel drive system is vacuum
    powered.
    Are the super select lights flashing?
    Flashing super select lights are most often caused by, front differential sensor switch is damaged or faulty,
    actuator rod jammed or seized (perhaps by mud) vacuum lines popped off fittings (common)
    Valcuum solenoid valves(2) either could be faulty
    electrical wiring problem.
    Basic fixes
    check your fluids transfer box and front differential
    The solenoid valves are on the bulkhead in front of the driver usually close near the brake master cylinder check pipe work is connected and not burst.
    The actuator is mounted on the front differential, the actuator and shaft covered by a rubber boot should be clean
    and free(the shaft can seize)

Find someone you trust to move the transfer lever in and out of 4wheel drive with the engine running, lie under
    the vehicle while he does so and you should see the shaft move if it doesn't it probably seized from lack of use.
    If its moving and you still have no 4 wheel drive then the next check is the free wheel engage switch, it either needs replacing or cleaning, it's located above the actuator shaft,probably need to remove the bash plates to see it clearly.

Solenoid valves and free wheel engage switch can be checked if you think they are suspect but you will need a multi meter, but your garage should be able to do that for you, like wise if you still suspect vacuum pipes after a visual check your garage should be able to check them for you using a hand held vacuum pump.

A final though you have not recently fitted a new radio cd player etc if you have you may have pulled a wire from
    the 4WD ECU (blue box) mounted just below the radio opening.

Good luck

Many Thanks for all your replies.
    When i first switch on the vehicle random lights light up on the super select then all go off so none are illuminated once the engine is running.
    Thanks clint

Its Japanese, they never have faults??