Tikka T3 M magazine nosedive?

jthyttin

Having recently acquired Tikka T3 in 308, I noticed it's very easy to induce a kind of nosedive when operating the magazine by hand.

That is, keeping a loaded magazine in hand, using your finger or some tool, remove the rounds one by one (like the bolt does while shooting). On the last round, the follower seems to bind in the front and the last round seriously "nosedives". It doesn't matter whether you keep pressure on the back of the rounds (like the bolt does while actually using the rifle) or not. Also rounds significantly shorter than 71mm show this behaviour so IMHO it's the follower binding (not the bullet tips on the front of magazine). Tested with 3rd and two 5rd magazines, all brand new, same behaviour on all.

Since I haven't seen this behaviour while actually shooting or cycling dummy ammunition through the rifle, I'd like to avoid disassembling the magazine(s) to investigate/fix. But if it's a known problem I'd rather deal with it before it occurs in the field.

So, have you experienced nosedive on Tikka T3 M length magazines (243/308/etc.) while actually shooting the gun?

(all problems I could find with search were related to worn out mags and feed lips, and the problem was round not being picked up by bolt. So quite the opposite)

The T3 mags that I use for hunting I mostly use some dry Teflon or Teflon oil on the internals and mating surfaces. They worked very reliable. On mags that customers drop in I have seen that behaviour out of the rifle but it didn't seem to affect the actual feeding when in the rifle.
edi

I have the same. Using either 3 or 5 shot magazine in my T3 .308. Only nosedive when emptying mag by hand. Never had a round do it once in the rifle. Always fed perfectly when clambering a round.

The T3 mags that I use for hunting I mostly use some dry Teflon or Teflon oil on the internals and mating surfaces. They worked very reliable. On mags that customers drop in I have seen that behaviour out of the rifle but it didn't seem to affect the actual feeding when in the rifle.
edi

x2

Having recently acquired Tikka T3 in 308, I noticed it's very easy to induce a kind of nosedive when operating the magazine by hand.

That is, keeping a loaded magazine in hand, using your finger or some tool, remove the rounds one by one (like the bolt does while shooting). On the last round, the follower seems to bind in the front and the last round seriously "nosedives". It doesn't matter whether you keep pressure on the back of the rounds (like the bolt does while actually using the rifle) or not. Also rounds significantly shorter than 71mm show this behaviour so IMHO it's the follower binding (not the bullet tips on the front of magazine). Tested with 3rd and two 5rd magazines, all brand new, same behaviour on all.

Since I haven't seen this behaviour while actually shooting or cycling dummy ammunition through the rifle, I'd like to avoid disassembling the magazine(s) to investigate/fix. But if it's a known problem I'd rather deal with it before it occurs in the field.

So, have you experienced nosedive on Tikka T3 M length magazines (243/308/etc.) while actually shooting the gun?

(all problems I could find with search were related to worn out mags and feed lips, and the problem was round not being picked up by bolt. So quite the opposite)

Looking for problems.
Did you think that all three brand new magazines were defective??
You made my head hurt before I even had my morning coffee.~Muir

Thanks for sharing your experiences with T3 mags. I'll apply some teflon spray w/o disassembling the mags and see how it works.

And yes, I think the design is defective and the magazine is working at the edge of it's "envelope" while actually being used in the gun. I rather have potential problems fixed before they occur.

If somebody feels like discussing magazines, Tikka T3 shortcomings, or something else not relevant to this thread, please start your own and I'll see whether I participate or not.

I think I might change my car engine in case it has a problem, but then the new one might have a problem? decisions decisions ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with T3 mags. I'll apply some teflon spray w/o disassembling the mags and see how it works.

And yes, I think the design is defective and the magazine is working at the edge of it's "envelope" while actually being used in the gun. I rather have potential problems fixed before they occur.

If somebody feels like discussing magazines, Tikka T3 shortcomings, or something else not relevant to this thread, please start your own and I'll see whether I participate or not.

Oh for Heaven's Sake! Quit being so sensitive. I was just pulling your chain a little. ;) If you had pushed the cartridge directly from the back as the bolt does you would find that they slide right off. I have four Tikkas and they all feed flawlessly. Frankly, they'd better for the money we pay for them! $549 for the rifle and $79.99 for a spare magazine??? :rolleyes:~Muir

Thanks for the advice. I've just stripped my plastic magazine down. Slightly stretched the spring and reversed it. It's cycling perfectly for now. Saved me money for the meantime!!!

Back