Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for a brace of pheasants?

Price for a brace of pheasants?

Just curious but how much in your area do you get for a brace of pheasants from the dealers? I just had a conversation with a local butcher that I couldn't believe and will elaborate if I get a response or two in case I am out of touch with prices!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

It starts off at 1, but by the time they have rejected any damaged/heavily shot birds you are looking at an average of 70p a brace.

About a pound
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

That's what I thought! The butcher has had to drive a round trip of approx 100 miles to get them at a price of 4 a brace as there aren't many local and what she can get has to pay 6.50 for from the game dealer. Is this normal!!??

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    That's what I thought! The butcher has had to drive a round trip of approx 100 miles to get them at a price of 4 a brace as there aren't many local and what she can get has to pay 6.50 for from the game dealer. Is this normal!!??
    Probably , the game dealers pay next to nowt mate I'm assuming the butcher is buying them oven ready from the game dealer ?
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Probably , the game dealers pay next to nowt mate I'm assuming the butcher is buying them oven ready from the game dealer ?
    Not sure I'll ask as I'm waiting for a call back about venison and she wants to know if I can source pheasants, rabbits and pigeons too! I feel a sideline coming on!!

There is a Harrods type rip-off store in Paris in 2005 selling a brace of UK sourced pheasants for €100!

Buying at 6.50 a brace they would have to go out the door at nigh on a tenner after overheads and to make any profit I'd imagine!! Crazy prices especially in a rural area!

After the rejected birds and the give always most keepers I know work on around 70p a brace, spoke to an under keeper last week in Norfolk they get 50p a brace after all deductions.

When I was working in London I used to visit Borough Market frequently and they had a brace for 12 not dressed!!