• No

16 55.17%
  • Not sure

5 17.24%
  • Popcorn

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who thinks Police England might work for us?

Who thinks Police England might work for us?

Police Scotland, would it work here? Police England/England & Wales.

Think of the cost savings , one Uniform / Badge, one lot of cars (for general patrols).

ONE FIREARMS dept, (If they can do it in Swansea, they can do it too!).

1: Yes.
    2: No.
    3:Not sure.
    4:
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

With the cost saving being forced on all police services (and public sector workers everywhere) there isn't a force (apart from the Met) in the country that isn't looking at some kind of collaboration with it's neighbouring counties.

It would save untold amounts of money but it is such a huge undertaking that no government will invest in in the short term so it'll just carry on with small forces and cross force departments merging to save money where they can. Apart from the PNC (and maybe one or two other computer systems) there is no national computer systems with all forces running different operating systems for different things.

Doesn't work in Scotland, why should it work in England??

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Doesn't work in Scotland, why should it work in England??
    So it hasn't saved any money at all?, What are the drawbacks you have seen?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It would certainly stop the political influence of the local PCC and Chief Constable having a deleterious affect upon us (as in Durham).

I worry urban issues would take precedence leaving rural communities policed even less than they are now, not to mention less tolerance of country pursuits which are often contrary to city dwellers' ideology.

Wolfie

I agree the data will be pooled and resources directed to urban areas,

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    So it hasn't saved any money at all?, What are the drawbacks you have seen?
    The problem is in the implementation....same rules apply in Stornoway as Sauchiehall Street. There has been a loss of confidence as the 'systems' are those used in Glasgow and don't necessarily work in Shetland for example. Bobbies wearing guns in Brora for example...caused an outcry, but there appears to be little acknowledgement of local concerns in the management of the national force.

There were many arguments for combining forces which would achieve economies while keeping 'local' policing; combining Tayside, Fife and Central for example, or Grampian and Northern, but to have one force covering from Hawick to Lerwick is not working particularly well. Yet another of Muppet Macaskills loony policies.

There still seems to be variation in how Firearms Law is implemented, which is a nonsense. A mate of mine lives on the north coast near Banff, but the FEO came from Edinburgh, staying in a hotel???

Known as Greater Strathclyde!!

Can anyone give an example whereby change driven by cost saving resulted in a more efficient service or operation?

SD Regular
    Yes. Cutting the number of cap badges in the Army. Which whilst I may not agree with it in that service it should be done with the police.

Britain is just too small for these still fifty plus police forces. Heck. I can even remember separate Leicester City Police and Leicestershire Constabulary forces. Soe here may even remember things like Bolton Police and Brighton Borough Constabulary and Etc.