Who thinks Police England might work for us?

As title

• Total voters

finnbear270

Police Scotland, would it work here? Police England/England & Wales.

Think of the cost savings , one Uniform / Badge, one lot of cars (for general patrols).

ONE FIREARMS dept, (If they can do it in Swansea, they can do it too!).

1: Yes.
2: No.
3:Not sure:rolleyes:.
4::popcorn:

With the cost saving being forced on all police services (and public sector workers everywhere) there isn't a force (apart from the Met) in the country that isn't looking at some kind of collaboration with it's neighbouring counties.

It would save untold amounts of money but it is such a huge undertaking that no government will invest in in the short term so it'll just carry on with small forces and cross force departments merging to save money where they can. Apart from the PNC (and maybe one or two other computer systems) there is no national computer systems with all forces running different operating systems for different things.

It would certainly stop the political influence of the local PCC and Chief Constable having a deleterious affect upon us (as in Durham).

I worry urban issues would take precedence leaving rural communities policed even less than they are now, not to mention less tolerance of country pursuits which are often contrary to city dwellers' ideology.

Wolfie

So it hasn't saved any money at all?, What are the drawbacks you have seen?

The problem is in the implementation....same rules apply in Stornoway as Sauchiehall Street. There has been a loss of confidence as the 'systems' are those used in Glasgow and don't necessarily work in Shetland for example. Bobbies wearing guns in Brora for example...caused an outcry, but there appears to be little acknowledgement of local concerns in the management of the national force.

There were many arguments for combining forces which would achieve economies while keeping 'local' policing; combining Tayside, Fife and Central for example, or Grampian and Northern, but to have one force covering from Hawick to Lerwick is not working particularly well. Yet another of Muppet Macaskills loony policies.

There still seems to be variation in how Firearms Law is implemented, which is a nonsense. A mate of mine lives on the north coast near Banff, but the FEO came from Edinburgh, staying in a hotel???

Known as Greater Strathclyde!!

Can anyone give an example whereby change driven by cost saving resulted in a more efficient service or operation?

Yes. Cutting the number of cap badges in the Army. Which whilst I may not agree with it in that service it should be done with the police.

Britain is just too small for these still fifty plus police forces. Heck. I can even remember separate Leicester City Police and Leicestershire Constabulary forces. Soe here may even remember things like Bolton Police and Brighton Borough Constabulary and Etc.

Whilst there are probably lots of issues relating to a combined police force to serve the whole of the UK, there have been some recent high profile cases, particularly revolving around child abuse etc where there has been a lack of collaboration and intelligence sharing between regional forces.

Surely anything that could impact on heinous crimes like these would be a positive thing.

Whilst there are probably lots of issues relating to a combined police force to serve the whole of the UK, there have been some recent high profile cases, particularly revolving around child abuse etc where there has been a lack of collaboration and intelligence sharing between regional forces.

Surely anything that could impact on heinous crimes like these would be a positive thing.

This is is very true and since Ian Huntley there have been huge improvements in sharing intelligence and also what is kept and recorded but most polic forces have different systems that make sharing difficult rather than the norm. Getting HR and the IT departments together in a national model will be the only way to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

And each force, even with very small .number of officers has a chief constable on mega bucks!

Ha ha
who actually thinks consolidation saves money!?

police scotland is basically now Strathclyde from what I am told
all senior posts nationally are held by ex Strathclyde officers or are temporary positions until the incumbent screws up and is replaced by a Strathclyder

i struggle to see how the cost savings can be incurred
they are moving people onto one system for firearms which is a potentially a good thing and long term could maybe show savings but we all know what a government contract looks like......no last page and the figures never stop climbing.

i see so many vehicle brands on the road, many of the audis
since when do the police need to take a starter platform worth £40k to then spend another £30k fitting it out to drive up and down the motorways!?

police Range Rover ?
what next?
Italian style pursuit cars of the exotic variety?!

Police should be servants of the public, looking after the peace, and thus very definatley should be and must be local in nature. Local policing should be part of thelocal community and far as I see it thats the only way it can be truly effective.

Police should n't be about solving and prosecuting crime, rather should be about crime prevention, and that has to start at the youngest age.

You do need a UK wide network for serious crime / terrorism etc, but that still needs a solid base in the locl communities - otherwise how will it gain the intelligence.

Remote / stand off policing in my view just increases the problem, and is only able to solve crime and prosecute after the action has been undertaken.

Policing locally in rural areas has got progressively worse round here and I am not that far from London. When you speak to them they often don't know where the local town is, let alone a back road up from a village the can not find on a map.... It will save them money using things like shared IT service but for those of us who live in the country we are unlikely to see any increase in service with the very real prospect of things getting worse. A lot of it seems to be down to 's**t happens, here is your crime number' mentality that has been my experience the last few times I needed their services... Rant over.

And each force, even with very small .number of officers has a chief constable on mega bucks!

Compared with the private sector for the same level of responsibility it's not that much. Loads more than the average bloke to be fair but they're basically a figurehead to take the blame if something goes wrong. Not a job I'd like, the money would be nice though.

Compared with the private sector for the same level of responsibility it's not that much. Loads more than the average bloke to be fair but they're basically a figurehead to take the blame if something goes wrong. Not a job I'd like, the money would be nice though.

The private sector isn't trying to put up the cost of firearms licensing though.

One or two here have hit on the main problem with a national force. Whilst there will no doubt be nods towards local policing, all policies and procedures would be decided upon centrally.

We already have examples of this, stretching back years. After the riots in the '80's it was decreed by the Home Office that every police division should have a liaison officer for ethnic minorities. At the time, not a bad idea in parts of the big cities. Build bridges, get to know them, keep tabs on them. But that also meant that places in, for example rural Cumbria also had to have them. So you end up with an officer in an office not looking out of their window in the morning, because then he'd have nothing to do in the afternoon. On his way home he could pick up a Chinese one time and an Indian the next. Job done, not only had he liaised, he had actually visited everyone in his area that was a member of a minority!

There would be advantages in procurement savings and savings on salaries for senior officers, which is good. But really the only savings would be financial. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to me that the government want us to have a police service like they do in European countries. Where there's no regular contact with the public. Even now, try calling your local force to speak to an officer. Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle these days. Or call at your local police station. In all likelihood it's been closed and you'll have to go to the nearest big town. Where you will still be lucky to speak with a real police officer. Where reporting many crimes is pointless as nothing can be done. Where even major enquiries are compromised to the point of incompetency (think Madeleine McCann).

One thing we did have here are police forces to be proud of when you compare them to the rest of the world. We are already far along the route of seeing them becoming at best, ordinary. This would be just another step in that direction. But it would save a bit.

Ha ha
who actually thinks consolidation saves money!?

police scotland is basically now Strathclyde from what I am told

This is what i'm told by a friend who knows a few still serving,'local' policing doesn't come into it again same problem as mentioned elsewhere on this thread armed officers doing routine work carrying sidearms at all times.This has now been changed due to public up roar.

Back