Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mud Tyres for a Freelander I?

Mud Tyres for a Freelander I?

I have a Freelander I TD4 that is in need of some new tyres.

The old ones are Hankook Dynapro AT-A 215/80 R15s. While they've been fine on the road and dry ground, the moment the grass gets wet, or a field gets soft, or a track gets muddy, the treads slip or fill and things get either lively or embarrassing.

Fortunately, much of the time I can play it safe, park up and walk the rest of the way, but I'd really like to have the option not to.

I am also fortunate in that most of my shooting is only half-an-hour away from base, so on-road performance is not a priority.

This has led me to consider getting some mud tyres for my 15" rims. I've identified the following models as front runners:

1. Hankook RT03 Dynapro MT 215/75 R15 100R
    2. BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain 215/75/15 100Q

Research so far indicates that these are a suitable size, but I'd very much appreciate it if the knowledgeable gentlemen of the SD could advise me as to:

• whether these tyres are likely to give me better mobility in the conditions described above?
    • whether there's a better alternative?
    • where best to buy from?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mr.G.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I have a Freelander I TD4 that is in need of some new tyres.

The old ones are Hankook Dynapro AT-A 215/80 R15s. While they've been fine on the road and dry ground, the moment the grass gets wet, or a field gets soft, or a track gets muddy, the treads slip or fill and things get either lively or embarrassing.

Fortunately, much of the time I can play it safe, park up and walk the rest of the way, but I'd really like to have the option not to.

I am also fortunate in that most of my shooting is only half-an-hour away from base, so on-road performance is not a priority.

This has led me to consider getting some mud tyres for my 15" rims. I've identified the following models as front runners:

1. Hankook RT03 Dynapro MT 215/75 R15 100R
    2. BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain 215/75/15 100Q

Research so far indicates that these are a suitable size, but I'd very much appreciate it if the knowledgeable gentlemen of the SD could advise me as to:

• whether these tyres are likely to give me better mobility in the conditions described above?
    • whether there's a better alternative?
    • where best to buy from?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mr.G.

Neither of those tyres are going to be great. The tread paterns are too small for the on road compromise and they will quickly become slics but if you have to compromise for a high percentage of road use then I supose thats the way to go.

Proper mud tyres just dont work well on tarmac

Good info on here

Mud Tire Reviews, Offroad Tires, 4x4 Mud Tire Reviews - Offroaders.com

If you can pick up a set of the old style BFG Mud-Terrains they are much better than the new style KM's and road noise is fine. They are good for 90,000miles so even part worns will see a FL1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Neither of those tyres are going to be great. The tread patterns are too small for the on road compromise and they will quickly become slicks but if you have to compromise for a high percentage of road use then I suppose that's the way to go.

Proper mud tyres just don't work well on tarmac

Good info on here

Mud Tire Reviews, Offroad Tires, 4x4 Mud Tire Reviews - Offroaders.com
    Thanks for the reply, and the link, but I'm puzzled that the treads should be too small, as to me they look huge (!), and because I hoped it was clear from my original post that on-road use is NOT a priority for me.
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.

Only ALL-Terrain become slicks, Mud-Terrains do not.

By tread being small I think he means less rubber on the tarmac.

Why not go for AT tyres. I have BFG AT on my Hilux Surf and they work well driving around the farm on wet grass and in mud.....OK on the road but they are
    also never going to be as good on tarmac as road tyres...

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Mr Gain!

Over the past 20 years, I reckon I have used or seen used most tyre models. (Sadly excepting the Hancooks you mention!)

I run the KM2 across all five of my trucks. They consistently perform better than the competition in the same class. I am quick to say that, as dedicated boggers, jungle or competition tyres are obviously going to handle gloop better than a tyre which has to be usable (and legal) on tarmac. That said, you are only able to fit relatively small tyres on your vehicle anyway and with a limited amount of power would not be able to spin up large items.

As mentioned above the previous model was the KM. The criticism that was frequently levelled at this tyre was that it had poor road manners in the wet. I am surprised to hear that anyone would rate their mud performance over the newer KM2. I tested them extensively side-by-side when they were released and found the newer version to be a marked improvement in thick mud, on tracks, in snow and on grass.

I would suggest that you put on a set of KM2s. They will be a revelation compared with your present setup. You could try Silverline tyres who are not far from you or contact Devon 4x4 (they will be competitive, but shipping and subsequent fitting by a third party might make a local supplier more cost effective).

As an aside, when you do get into muddy areas, you should try decreasing the tyre pressures. The tyre profile will 'mushroom' and you will gain a lot more traction. This is true of any tyre. The downside is that some tyres have weaker side-walls so don't react well to running at very low pressures. Without beadlockers, I run my KM2 tyres off-road at 16psi. These are 33 or 35 inch variants though, so you would have to experiment with yours.

Hope this helps

regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post

Why not go for AT tyres. I have BFG AT on my Hilux Surf and they work well driving around the farm on wet grass and in mud.....OK on the road but they are

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    That's a reasonable suggestion, but given the lack of noise difference on the road I would still suggest that the KM2 is a better option as they are markedly better in mud.

Clink! (the sound of a penny dropping.)

Why not go for AT tyres. I have BFG AT on my Hilux Surf and they work well driving around the farm on wet grass and in mud.....OK on the road but they are also never going to be as good on tarmac as road tyres...

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    Thanks for your reply.

I had ruled out AT tyres, because the Hankook AT's I had proved inadequate. Are the BFGs much better? And are these the ones you have in mind: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO 215/75 R15 100S?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear;881443[B
    ]By tread being small I think he means less rubber on the tarmac.[/B]

Cheers & ATVB

Philip

Sorry yes thats what I ment

If its 95%+ off road then id go the whole hog and get the swampers

They look epic

Sadly I have a lot of road work to do so I went for Geolander ATs and yesterday I aborted an attempt to get across the field of grass to my favorite pond and walked

instead No way would I have got up an incline.

I am in half a mind to get a spare set of rims and roper off roads or just admit defeat and get a quad.

PS I carry a 3ltr scuba tank with a tire inflater on it in my Rav4 and I drop the PSI to about 5lb when its realy bad then pump back up for the road

ATB
    Last edited by Chasey; 28-11-2014 at 10:02.