Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 set-up

Established Poster

7mm-08 set-up

Hi All

Today I had a visit from a Met firearms officer, who has provisionally said that I will be getting my FAC as requested (.22lr, .223, and 7mm-08).

I'm now in the market for an affordable second hand 7mm-08 set-up, with a slight preference for a Sauer, Steyr Mannlicher or Sako (quite simply because they look so pretty...) topped with top quality glass - i suspect this will need to be fixed magnification otherwise my wallet will take a kicking.

I'll be conditioned for a Moderator and would ideally hope to pick up a combo that includes this and a bipod.

Now I know 7mm-08s are more popular these days, but a quick google search failed to show up anything. Can anyone please suggest a stockist who might be able to provide all or some of the above, preferably near SW London or Somerset who is reliable and affordable.

Worth noting how impressive the Met team have been, business like and looking for reasons why I should be granted a license rather than excuses not to. The only problem is that they probably won't give me an open license.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom
    Last edited by tom_o_m; 28-11-2014 at 15:50.

This isn't on your list, but I have fallen in love with my Tikka T-3 Lite in 7-08. It has nothing to recommend it for looks but it's ruggedness and accuracy are in themselves, a thing of beauty. I have carried mine up cliffs, across plains and shot it in summer heat and -30F while coated with snow and it has never failed. I shot a mule deer doe last Saturday, off hand, and had nothing but 100% confidence in it's ability to drop her cold. I have a 3-9X Zeiss on top but it seldom leaves the 3X setting. This is how it shoots... ~Muir

In '99 I went shopping for a 7mm-08 and came back with a 260 Rem. If I went shopping again today, I would come back with a .308 Win based on the availability of rifles and factory ammunition.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    In '99 I went shopping for a 7mm-08 and came back with a 260 Rem. If I went shopping again today, I would come back with a .308 Win based on the availability of rifles and factory ammunition.

Regards JCS
    I'm sincerely curious, JCS, did you come to the 260 decision on your own or did a salesperson influence you?

I don't worry about factory ammo as I prefer to handload, and since i handload, I make 7-08 from 308 with little fuss and a case that is .005" shorter than "trim to " length for the factory 7-08. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    This isn't on your list, but I have fallen in love with my Tikka T-3 Lite in 7-08. It has nothing to recommend it for looks but it's ruggedness and accuracy are in themselves, a thing of beauty. I have carried mine up cliffs, across plains and shot it in summer heat and -30F while coated with snow and it has never failed. I shot a mule deer doe last Saturday, off hand, and had nothing but 100% confidence in it's ability to drop her cold. I have a 3-9X Zeiss on top but it seldom leaves the 3X setting. This is how it shoots... ~Muir
    Mine shoots 1/2 MOA with 120 and 140gr bullets.
    I carried up the top of the hills in Perthshire a couple of weeks ago after some reds )no luck there though).
    I have total confidence in the rifle and would use nothing else.

Established Poster
    Thanks both

Muir - I'm not limiting myself at all, and will certainly consider anything that does the job in the right price range. I do find the Steyr rifles in particular very beautiful but the main thing is that whatever I get shoots well, it looks like your T3 certainly is!

JCS - be careful that this doesn't shift into another 'what calibre' thread! I know the limitations of the 7mm-08 and I know it's performance is so marginally better as to make no difference. But I will not be shooting it week in week out, so am happy to pay a little extra for ammo. I will have complete confidence that anything in my shoting range will go down, which for a relative novice is worth the extra money.

Tom

Established Poster
    Just to add, my plan is to find a well performing 140gr factory load and stick to that for everything.

Again, suggestions on where to start looking most welcome!

Hopefully these won't cost the earth...
    Last edited by tom_o_m; 28-11-2014 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'm sincerely curious, JCS, did you come to the 260 decision on your own...
    Muir. I seem to remember spending a lot of time in Borders reading American gun magazines. At least one article highlighted the recently released 260 Rem. The 260 Rem is still around (2 in the cabinet at present) however Borders is no more.

Regards JCS

I'd keep an eye out on here in the classifieds that's where I bought my 7 mm ( tikka t3 laminate stainless + mod ) got a good deal on here if you shoot a fair bit , ( I'm putting about 100 rounds a year through mine ) it will be worth reloading , I'm shooting hornady 139gr btsp through mine they group very well
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    Just to add, my plan is to find a well performing 140gr factory load and stick to that for everything.

Again, suggestions on where to start looking most welcome!

Hopefully these won't cost the earth...
    Tom http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammo.htm gives an indication of prices and availability. Regards JCS