Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 770 30-06

Remington 770 30-06

I need a cheap 30-06 for the next couple of years (I posted another thread recently) what are opinions on the Remington 770?

I will ill not be rebarreling and the price seems really cheap.

so any thoughts?

regards,
    gixer

M770 is too cheapened.
    Buy a Savage Edge (Axis) or a Marlin XL7... a super value in a rifle.

I have had just about all of the budget rifles here in my hands apart from an X7 and a ruger American, the bolts all feel like pushing a hacksaw through metal!

I think im expecting too much....and I miss my Sauer!

I shot the ATR and it seemed ok, maybe the ruger is worth a look....or I get a scope for the 336...but that would ruin it, I'm thinking peep sights are the only way to go with the 336.

regards,
    Gixer

I don't know your situation, but the Marlin XL7 in .30-06 is a nice rifle, to me.
    I own a Sauer Lux in .308 and and several .30-06s, and would not hesitate to buy an XL7.

On the Marlin 336, yes, get a Lyman aperture sight, with target knobs if you shoot a variety of loads and like to adjust even in the field ). If the two disks which come standard do not suit your eyes, invest in a Merit Sight Disc, which has adjustable aperture. An aperture sight will let you shoot a .30-30 or .444 as far as you shoot be shooting it at game. I shoot Lyman and Redfield aperture sights on .22 LR, .30-30, .30-06, .270 Winchester, 6.5x55 and 8x57, and other aperture sights on .303, .223, 7x64mm and .375 H&H.

Personally wouldnt go for a 770 at all unless there was only that rifle available, even then i would consider throwing stones instead! There is a BSA and a Winchester on guntrader in 3006 at sub 300. Would a 308 not give you a better choice?

An atrocious rifle buddy, look for something second hand.

Thanks for the input folks, the issue I have is I have several rifles at home in the UK which I could not ship over here to the USA and so i am building up a small collection here in the USA to use over the next couple of years - but I can't take them back with me so I'm trying to buy lower end rifles so I don't have to take a major hit when I leave in a couple of years.

i think the Marlin and Ruger are contenders, there is also an Browning AB3 for around $500 but the Remington was reduced to 165 with a scope ($259)

what at I want it for is something a big bigger for plinking and deer and hogs.

the 30-30 will be used for mostly plinking

and I have an AR15 for hogs and plinking...

hope this his helps shed more light on things!

Regards,
    Gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 29-11-2014 at 05:07.

Depends where you are in the U.S. Watch the personal for sale ads in the local papers under guns or sporting goods. IN some cities there on on-line forums like "The back Page" where people list used guns for very reasonable prices. If you know an FFL holder you can often get great deals on Gunbroker and have them shipped to the FFL and pick them up from him. This is a good time of year for those deals....

SS

Why not try a Tikka T3? Inexpensive, accurate with a silky smooth action. My son just got one to replace a Howa in 308 and couldn't be happier.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DML View Post
    Why not try a Tikka T3? Inexpensive, accurate with a silky smooth action. My son just got one to replace a Howa in 308 and couldn't be happier.

David

I have a 30-06 T3 sitting at home in the UK, they aren't that cheap here and I will need to sell any guns I buy here in the USA before I leave so I'm trying to minimise loss.

Regards,
    Gixer