Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eCommerce coming to licensing

eCommerce coming to licensing

Few details, but the Government Digital Service is looking at FAC/SGC and Expl processing online.
    - You will be able to undertake all your application, variation and payment activity via online forms
    - Public safety checks will continue as is

That really is it for now; but at face value this appears to modernise and simplify things.
    The principle is "at no more cost than now for the user".
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

They are not exactly quick off the mark in introducing this Rick. They were told that they needed to do this by the Home Office at least five years ago to my knowledge, so don't hold your breath.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I had my annual RFD check yesterday and the guy from firearms licensing wasn't aware of what was happening regarding our transfer to electronic records - he is still awaiting instruction from the central authorities (Home Office) as to what is/ is not to be kept and the paper record is supposed to cease at the end of December. Supposedly, no electronic record of ammunition transactions is required. I can't see that lasting!

It's the Cabinet Office (GDS element) who lead on eCommerce; it wasn't said for the sake of it.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    It's the Cabinet Office (GDS element) who lead on eCommerce; it wasn't said for the sake of it.
    What do you think you're playing at, O'Shay? Coming on here with good news, indeed! Whatever possessed you? The sheer barefaced cheek of it! This is the SD, don't y'know, not some mothers' meeting where they presumably like that sort of thing!

"Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I shall away and whip myself with the thorn tree..
    WSC 1942

Indeed, this is al part of the change in licence fees, the new fees have been calculated based on the police getting this system in place

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Indeed, this is al part of the change in licence fees, the new fees have been calculated based on the police getting this system in place
    "New fees"? But Mr O'Shay's post says that the GDS principle is at "no more cost than now for the user"... I can't believe that the police would deliberately ignore guidance issued by a department of Government.... or do you think the police interpret it as them being the users while we are just victims aka the paying customer?

I seem to recall that part of the raison d'etre for the national firearms licensing database was to facilitate electronic/online transactions and reporting. How long did they take to get that up and running and how long ago? Is it even working properly?

I hope this post is sufficiently negative to reassure Mr G that he is indeed logged in to SD and not Mumsnet....

I understand what you are saying, but take a look at the HO consultation. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...s-licence-fees

David

This will not be FLIMS, this will be a public facing interface; like renewing car tax online. The police will have little to do with it at that front end.
    Currently the service costs more to deliver than we pay for it, by commoditising this through an eCommerce solution the costs (nationally) are minimised and more importantly are sustainable.
    WSC 1942