Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OLd man In the woods

OLd man In the woods

I don't know if this strictly comes under legal, but I thought id tell you about a recent situation. An old boy who lives in our area has walked our woods for years taking wildlife photos. I think my grandfather gave him permission many years ago, verbally. I think also that he lives in the village he believes he has the "right" to go where he pleases. Anyhow, today, I saw him casually walking across the fields towards our woods and I old him, and explained, He wasn't to wonder where he pleases anymore as I now have stalkers going in the wood, and they're not to know that he's wondering about as he likes. To my surprise he started to argue his case saying "they should learn to aim better!!". I didn't know what to say really, I was a bit taken back.

So i've just put this up here as im sure many of you have had similar situations, and maybe some pointers if any backlash occurs? Maybe something I need to look out for to stay on the legal side if some 20 years ago he'd been allowed to walk there.?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I don't know if this strictly comes under legal, but I thought id tell you about a recent situation. An old boy who lives in our area has walked our woods for years taking wildlife photos. I think my grandfather gave him permission many years ago, verbally. I think also that he lives in the village he believes he has the "right" to go where he pleases. Anyhow, today, I saw him casually walking across the fields towards our woods and I old him, and explained, He wasn't to wonder where he pleases anymore as I now have stalkers going in the wood, and they're not to know that he's wondering about as he likes. To my surprise he started to argue his case saying "they should learn to aim better!!". I didn't know what to say really, I was a bit taken back.

So i've just put this up here as im sure many of you have had similar situations, and maybe some pointers if any backlash occurs? Maybe something I need to look out for to stay on the legal side if some 20 years ago he'd been allowed to walk there.?
    Make it known to others, that you have informed him that he may be placing himself in danger? And obviously let the stalkers know too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

He should be in no danger everyone should make sure of a safe backstop. What about Scotland with the right to roam. This does not mean that he is not trespassing

Why should a walker be placing himself in danger ?

Don`t you trust the stalkers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Why should a walker be placing himself in danger ?

Don`t you trust the stalkers ?
    Exactly.

I stalked my Red Stag in Glen Lyon and when checking zero on the "range" the gillie asked me to stop. He had seen the two hikers coming up behind us and we then watched them walk past us and across my line of fire.

Memo to self, always check behind in Scotland!

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Memo to self, always check behind in Scotland!

Stan
    No, remember to look all around wherever you are.

Neil.

The danger element may not be the only reason. What about the fact he would be disturbing the deer. I think if I'd paid to sit up a high seat in private woodland to have someone walk through there and push out the deer I'd be a bit miffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post

What kind of country do you guys live in? It's your woods?? If he has a legal right to be there let HIM produce documentation. At the very least, insist he wear a blaze orange vest as he wanders.~Muir

Isn't there something about people accessingnland for more than 7 years?

That only applies if permission wasn't given in the first place, if there is a history of 20 yr use then it can be retrospectively claimed to be a footpath . I was involved in such a claim against my former property