Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22-250, whats too much velocity?

.22-250, whats too much velocity?

I have a rpa .22-250, so the barrel is good. I have a rough idea of my velocity (last year I chronographed it), it is around 3900fps with a 50 grn bullet. Although I have altered the load slightly and need to chrono again asap.

With that load im getting quarter MOA. I dont want to do any damage to the rifle. Has anybody experienced throat erosion or damage with a similar load/velocities? Am I worried about nothing?

No hands on experience but velocity isn't everything. Yes, 3900 is fast but throat erosion is heat as much as anything. Shooting long strings and getting the barrel hot will decrease life much quicker than just velocity will.

What do you use her for? If it's munty, CWD or Charlie I don't imagine you'll get the barrel hot enough. If it's long range coneys or corvids, you might but they all tend to F off when their mate explodes don't they

Personally, with that accuracy and that velocity i'd just use it and cross that bridge when I came to it. Takes a lot of money to burn out a barrel anyway so you'll probably not hit it but if you do, rebarrel and crack on

Its only really foxes and occasionally long range rabbits/corvids. So im not shooting high volume. I am aware that the 22-250 can push 4000 but I dont want to be silly at the same time. I dont think there is a real need to load to the absolute limits. Like i said its silly.

Do you think 3900fps, given my usage would be harmful?

Thanks for the help

I don't think you'll do it any harm whatsoever, given your volumes. Just crack on and enjoy your shooting

In that case, I reckon you'll be fine

Barrels are consumables....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Keep cleaning and keep shooting it until it doesnt shoot simples

Quote Originally Posted by rugerm View Post
    I have a rpa .22-250, so the barrel is good. I have a rough idea of my velocity (last year I chronographed it), it is around 3900fps with a 50 grn bullet. Although I have altered the load slightly and need to chrono again asap.

With that load im getting quarter MOA. I dont want to do any damage to the rifle. Has anybody experienced throat erosion or damage with a similar load/velocities? Am I worried about nothing?
    Velocity is not an issue, nor is throat erosion strictly a matter of frequency. It happens to some extent at every firing, the amount of pressure a cartridge generates has much to do with the amount of erosion that takes place with every shot. It doesn't take many rounds jetting white hot gasses at 60,000+ PSI to eat barrel, or rather, these will wear out a barrel at an exponentially higher rate than loads with less pressure.

Barrels are only consumable if you make them so. I have 40 year old rifles that shoot as well as they ever did because I don't load them hot. If you're getting 2900 fps from a 50 grain you're riding max and there is a good chance -depending on the powder- that individual loads are exceeding max. You are not only eating your barrel, but you are wearing out the action. If you like the rifle, you might want to find a different load. JMHO~Muir

Ok. All taken on board. I may scale it down a bit. Thank you.
    I would just like to say there is no pressure signs or anything to suggest any danger.

Also factory ammunition is sitting in and around 3800fps with 50 grn bullet. Thats what has been reassuring to me that I may be ok?
    Last edited by rugerm; 30-11-2014 at 15:50.

SD Regular
    Pushing 4000 with a 50gr bullet is hot, as Muir says. I would simply ask the question of what you are trying to achieve. Speed is not everything and there will be more stable loads at the next node (or two) down that will still knock charlie down very effectively indeed - and not push the pressure too hard. Losing a couple of hundred fps will not make material change to a drop chart at normal shooting ranges.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........