Thread: DSC2 in Northern Ireland

DSC2 in Northern Ireland

Do any of the NI members have DSC2 or thought of doing it? I do not know of any NI guys having it, nor have I heard of anyone running one / being an accreditted witness over here.

I am strictly a hobby stalker, been at it for about 10 - 12 years now. I don't shoot a lot of deer maybe 7-10 per year, in earlier years it was maybe only 3 or 4 per year. I recently found out that some of the "experts" conducting DSC1 over here have at most half the experience I have, which is to say damn little.

I am sure it has been done to death, but what does DSC2 involve?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Do any of the NI members have DSC2 or thought of doing it? I do not know of any NI guys having it, nor have I heard of anyone running one / being an accreditted witness over here.

I am strictly a hobby stalker, been at it for about 10 - 12 years now. I don't shoot a lot of deer maybe 7-10 per year, in earlier years it was maybe only 3 or 4 per year. I recently found out that some of the "experts" conducting DSC1 over here have at most half the experience I have, which is to say damn little.

I am sure it has been done to death, but what does DSC2 involve?
    A good person to ask would be the man that caped the Muntjac in your avatar.

I suspect that Damien McIlholm (think the spelling is wrong) at Favour Royal might be an AW or one of those things that you need to sign stuff off for you. So, I would guess he could do it at a price.

I have been thinking about doing it, from what I gather you have to meet the requirements of the person watching you stalk/deal with carcass etc. but it seems to me that the actual requirements can vary depending on the person. Some people seem keen on you doing one thing, some keen on you doing the other.

My current feeling is that if I were doing it then I would do it in Scotland, one of the stalkers that I go out with occasionally is an AW in the Highlands and another has Roe deer near Edinburgh and is also an AW and will put you though the whole process in a few days as all you need are 3 witnessed stalks. For someone like yourself with lots of experience I would say that might be the route to go as you could nip over on the ferry for a few days stalking, enjoy the sport and get a few roe, and come back with the whole thing done and dusted.

While I don't feel I am up to it yet I think when I'm ready I would take a "teaching stalk" with the AW first so I can determine what his exact standards and requirements and pet subjects are. Then I would do the witnessed stalks.

Don't know if that helps but those are my thoughts, if you are interested in doing it near Edinburgh let me know and I can give you a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    A good person to ask would be the man that caped the Muntjac in your avatar.
    Dave?

If so, how the hell are you?
    Brian.

Claret Dabbler interesting to hear about DSC1 and 2 in your neck of the woods. As I have mentioned before it appears that the system is still not joined up at the seams! How can any so called expert run courses when they have had, as you have implied little experience. One of the examiners I met during my Level 2 some years back, mentioned to me that he had only just shot his first Sika deer the season before, and commented to me how hardy they were. He then asked me if I had any experience of the species. I replied that indeed I had some experience, but that he was the one with the piece of paper!!!

Expert.. stands for x marks the spot and a spurt is a drip under pressure

ATB
    sikamalc

it is!

Hope you got that cape safely back to Davey.

I have got 4 in the freezer to post to him when I get a minute.

I will pm you my number and email

Dave, I did. I went to see the wee Davey guy last week, turns out he only lives about 5 miles from me. He said he was waiting on some stuff from you.
    Brian.

dsc2 in NI

Would do DSC2 if offerred here. But when Ive paid for the boat, accommodation and stalking Ive always opted to put it on the back burner. Also not having it has never caused me a problem yet.