Thread: Veni Haunch in slow cooker?

Veni Haunch in slow cooker?

Chaps,

got it a small haunch to cook, fancy doing it in the slow cooker...anyone tried it like this, any tips?

Cheers

James

Slow cooker great for venison

Not essential , but I sear the haunch outer quickly in a hot pan , just to get colour & flavour .
    Then into slow cooker with carrot onions ... Whatever you want .

Pint of good stock and good slug o red wine

Paul

Thanks....can taste it already!

Don't worry if gravy / stock seems to watery after cooking done , you can take all the liquid and small pan , add a wee bit of butter & flour which had been mixed before going in .... This acts like cornflour & thicken it up a bit ...the butter also can put a lovely sheen onto the gravy , so it looks the part ..., if you can't be bothered just throw some bistro gravy granules into thicken.

No rules really just try , have the fun experimenting

Venison & Guinness makes a great gravy slow cooked

One I'm keen to try but not done yet is venison with chocolate

Paul

I too prefer to flash cook a haunch in the same way as one might cook lamb, even studding it with garlic & rosemary. I let it stay very pink by the bone & often use the leftover rare meat the next day for a Moroccan Tagine. I would serve the haunch with a jus/glaze from reduced venison stock with some wine, redcurrent jelly, brandy, lemon juice & mustard.

However, you asked for a slow cook recipe so here's my favourite. I usually use the shoulder (on the bone) for this & it's essentially a Nicola Fletcher recipe.

Venison shoulder stewed in treacle & Old Jock's

1 large or 2 small roe shoulders (intact)

1 head celery

Black treacle to taste (2-4 tablespoons)

2oz brown sugar

1 bottle Old Jock's, or substitute other very dark, strong beer

1/2 pint good homemade stock

I sometimes add some orange peel to cut through the sweetness.

Quickly sear the shoulders then put to one side, then brown the chopped celery & also put to one side. Gently dissolve the treacle & sugar in a heavy casserole dish then add the beer & stock, warm then add the shoulders & celery & cook in a low oven for ever. I usually put this on in the morning to cook for an evening meal. Top up with water if required. I know it's ready when I pick up a bone & the meat falls off.

It's really worthwhile making a load of dark game stock for the freezer after butchering an animal when you have all the bits around anyway.

My next project is to try making venison Wellingtons from roe fillet. I've seen some recipes but not tried it yet.

Wow sounds a great recipe. I have a mate who makes a hell of a veni Wellington, will find and share!

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I too prefer to flash cook a haunch in the same way as one might cook lamb, even studding it with garlic & rosemary. I let it stay very pink by the bone & often use the leftover rare meat the next day for a Moroccan Tagine. I would serve the haunch with a jus/glaze from reduced venison stock with some wine, redcurrent jelly, brandy, lemon juice & mustard.

However, you asked for a slow cook recipe so here's my favourite. I usually use the shoulder (on the bone) for this & it's essentially a Nicola Fletcher recipe.

Venison shoulder stewed in treacle & Old Jock's

1 large or 2 small roe shoulders (intact)

1 head celery

Black treacle to taste (2-4 tablespoons)

2oz brown sugar

1 bottle Old Jock's, or substitute other very dark, strong beer

1/2 pint good homemade stock

I sometimes add some orange peel to cut through the sweetness.

Quickly sear the shoulders then put to one side, then brown the chopped celery & also put to one side. Gently dissolve the treacle & sugar in a heavy casserole dish then add the beer & stock, warm then add the shoulders & celery & cook in a low oven for ever. I usually put this on in the morning to cook for an evening meal. Top up with water if required. I know it's ready when I pick up a bone & the meat falls off.

It's really worthwhile making a load of dark game stock for the freezer after butchering an animal when you have all the bits around anyway.

My next project is to try making venison Wellingtons from roe fillet. I've seen some recipes but not tried it yet.
    sounds good, I have to agree with you that Haunch is maybe a bit too good for slow cooking! Slow cook the neck meat and or shoulder meat, it tastes better too because of all of the connective tissue that becomes all nice and soft.
    Also, at the end of the cooking time try slipping some dumplings into the sauce of the slow cooked meat. Tasty.

kind regards, Olaf

I've done something similar with a CWD haunch and it was far superior to the roasted version. I put the CWD haunch in a big cast iron casserole pot with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic, but I rested it on top of sections of veal marrow bone. In the oven at 120 degrees C for four hours with the lid on, and it comes out soft enough to carve with a spoon, absolutely fantastic and very simple. The marrow bones or some other sort of bone really make the sauce though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    sounds good, I have to agree with you that Haunch is maybe a bit too good for slow cooking! Slow cook the neck meat and or shoulder meat, it tastes better too because of all of the connective tissue that becomes all nice and soft.
    Also, at the end of the cooking time try slipping some dumplings into the sauce of the slow cooked meat. Tasty.

kind regards, Olaf
    I usually agree, I wouldn't slow cook a Sika haunch, but it's a wee roe kid so want to cook it whole, and very little fat on it, quite a small follower, so though I'd see how this goes.