Thread: Burris BDC .223

Blog Entries

Burris BDC .223

Hey guys

This morning I took my new Burris scope out on top of the .223 did basic zeroing at 100 then 200 and 400.

The Burris BDC is I think meant to work with the 55gr bullet. Really?

Anybody had a lot of luck with this on any particular calibre?

Good scope. Maybe the load is more particular than I gave it credit for.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

All depends on ammo velocity and bc for what it was calibrated to. Email Burris for the ballistic details for the bdc ret
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Blog Entries
    Hello mate. Missed you at Langport this morning!

That's probably not a bad start I guess. In theory a scope zeroed at 200 should go 300, 400,500 & 600m per dot. Sounds ideal!

Will mail them unless anyone has specific data?

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I am a big fan of the Burris BP reticle ( and others, like Vortex), having tried it on .22 LR, .308, .30-06, .280 Rem, and .270 Win.
    Which Burris scope model, and the power? On what power did you have the scope set when shooting?
    Most of the Burris scopes are calibrated with the BP reticle at its highest power setting.
    But you can recalibrate it to your own table at the power you want to use for the BP reticle.

What rifle are you using, what bullet, what muzzle velocity?

Blog Entries

Burris BDC .223

Hi Southern

Rifle is a Southern Gun Company Speedmaster which it one of our UK laws permitted *******isations of the AR15 platform. It's a 20" barrel with a 1 in 9 twist.

I was just using some 55gr plinking rounds from a buddy to prove the concept and in honesty I do not know if he has chronographed this load.

Subsequent to my post I found the documentation for the BDC and see that the BDC is calibrated on a 55gr .223 bullet travelling at 3240fps at the muzzle. So I get where it's coming from now.

My standard load for this rifle is with a 69gr Sierra Matchking which is unlikely to change. It seems the 1 in 9 seems to favour the heavier bullet though I'm not sure I truly understand this.

There is a little white dot on the Burris Signature 4-16x44 focus ring around 14 power which is where I had it set.

Conceptually great, which was worth the punt on a scope to me. However looks like finding something spot on for is might be tricky.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 01-12-2014 at 05:04.

Burris has a 4-page PDF article on several ways to zero your rifle to the BDC reticle. It uses the Mil Dot BDC in the 4.5-14x42 TAC scope, but applies to all of them. And it tells how to scale the BDC to other powers.

There is another table with images of dozens of cartridges and bullets, from .22 LR to .375 H&H. I will try to find the current links for both of them. They are good to print out.

Basically, you can start with a ballistics table for a bullet, and match up yardage at drops to drop marks on the reticle.

Attachment 49764Attachment 49765

My Fullfield's bdc ret was perfect for the 270/130 grain load
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I zero all my centerfires at 200, and figure out the other hash marks, either at the highest power (as the BP is calibrated), or a lower power in order to make the hash marks work out to more round numbers and useful ranges for that rifle.

Calibrating the Ballistic Plex different ways.
    Zero at 100
    Zero at 200
    Zero at 500 and work back
    www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/ballmil.pdf

Burris reticles with .22 LR and .223 Rem 55 gr Federal
    Attachment 49774
    Burris article on calibrating BPlex to your loads, several methods.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPlex.pdf
    Last edited by Southern; 03-12-2014 at 22:40. Reason: added link to Burris article

Blog Entries
    Will have to have a play!