Thread: Oil or water sharpening stone?

Oil or water sharpening stone?

I have a sharpening stone in my wood chisel set.
    Is there a way of knowing if I use oil or water, it is two different grades of grit.
    I've started to sharpen my knifes with it but unsure of lubricant if any.

Thanks
    craggy

I always use a light oil

If it is in a wood chisel set, with two grades of grit, it is probably an oil stone, you should use a fine oil, even if its cooking oil that will do, but it does really need lubricant to make a fine paste when you are working with it. I also have a water stone, it was my grandfathers and used to sharpen cut throat razors, it is a very very fine texture and larger than most whetstones, also they are always just one grade not two. If in any doubt try water first as it wont harm an oilstone but oil would harm a waterstone.
    regards.

have a look on youtube about knife sharpening with a 3000 then 8000 grit stone my Buck and john moore knives are like razors and keep a great edge
    i just sit with the stone flat after it soaking for 30 mins in water and just lightly stroke it for 10-12 mins each side starting on 3000 grit 1st and a light strop with a old leather belt,
    then repeat on the 8000 grit for 10 mins and strop again wow is it sharp
    word of caution on the 8000 grit be careful not to nick the stone as your edge gets sharper,keep the angle the same on both sides, as you must keep it perfectly smooth and flat.
    hope this helps you out
    bob

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by james22250 View Post
    I also have a water stone, it was my grandfathers and used to sharpen cut throat razors, it is a very very fine texture and larger than most whetstones, also they are always just one grade not two.
    I agree it is most likely an oilstone, but if it's a modern waterstone then it could be two grades - Naniwa make combination stones for example.

I have traditional waterstones, modern waterstones and also a Tormek wetstone, and building up a good slurry is key to use of any waterstone.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Clean the stone in hot water, scrub with a nail brush and get any old oil gunk out. Then use water with a few drops of washing up liquid, simple and doesn't clog the stone like oil. )) I learnt that trick a few years ago as I got fed up with stone clogging with gunk. This method should work with both type of stone.

The best lubricant I have found on an oilstone is the aerosol spray version of 3-in-1, or WD40 or similar very thin oil.
    Ordinary 3-in-1 is a popular choice, but it will gunk up your stone.

Back in the mists of time when I was an apprentis the chap I worked under used to sharpen his chisels by spitting on his oil stone, as when he did his time he could not get oil after the war.
    I just use diamond sharpeners now.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Thanks guys for advice.
    Some good tips there

craggy