Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ppu is it good enough for hunting?

Ppu is it good enough for hunting?

Hi folks just after some opinions from those who have actually used PPU
    Now on a page on Facebook (wont say which one ) some folks are suggesting that PPU bullets are not up to the job.
    Personally PPU wont group for love nor money in my rifle however once i pull the bullet and re-seat i can get very good 1" groupings (.270 130grn)
    And everything i hit have never went far.
    Very interested in what others have to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjd237 View Post
    Hi folks just after some opinions from those who have actually used PPU
    Now on a page on Facebook (wont say which one ) some folks are suggesting that PPU bullets are not up to the job.
    Personally PPU wont group for love nor money in my rifle however once i pull the bullet and re-seat i can get very good 1" groupings (.270 130grn)
    And everything i hit have never went far.
    Very interested in what others have to say about this.
    My daughter has killed big whitetail bucks with her 243 with factory PPU that groups well under an inch from her Model 70 Winchester. My friend has killed several mule deer with PPU 30-06. I load PPU bullets in my handloads and get better than average accuracy and good, quick, kills.~Muir

285 gr 9.3x62 do fine for me on European boar and in Africa.

Stan

.222 50gr, .243 100gr, .308 150&180gr, 30-06 180Gr all work fine in my rifles and I have seen them used in other calibres on Boar to good effect by others.
    It would seem, from what I've heard from others, that if it doesn't suit your particular rifle then it isn't good but I've yet to see anybody not do well with it for hunting.
    I am not a long range target shooter so cannot comment on it's suitability for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post

Stan
    I use the same bullet here for Moose , Elk and bear , they work great . I've also used their 8mm bullets with really good results .

Tried it in my .308 and it's excellent. It's another story in my .243 though, wouldn't group at all! I guess you need to try it and if it works for you then that's a good result.
    Last edited by Rupert J; 30-11-2014 at 23:25.

Bagged a fair few fallow with 150gr .308 PPU bullets and all of them never complained they weren't up to the job.
    For me they did what they were supposed to do

if your rifle likes PPU and the Groups are good , you need to look no further

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I use the same bullet here for Moose , Elk and bear , they work great . I've also used their 8mm bullets with really good results .
    I use factory ammo and am happy with it. Got 300 rounds in Denmark on a Cinema Trip and can't fault it. I would suggest not firing 130 rounds in one day on running boar targets. You notice it the next day around the tenth round, ouch ;(

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post

Stan
    Glad to hear this. I have 1000 of these bullets purchased for my 9.3x57. Haven't tried them yet.~Muir