Thread: My first boar

My first boar

Hi all,

Well I've just got back from my first ever wild boar hunting trip to Sweden and below are a few pics

Due to three feet of snow in the area, hunting from a post was the only viable option and at this time of the year only 1 year old pigs (the perfect eating size) can be taken. The hunting took place outside a small town in Sweden called Kisa and was about a 6.5 hour drive from Oslo.

We were instructed by the organiser, that if we shoot a pig to leave it lying there as there is a strong possibility that more will return, he wasn't wrong!

My accomodation

Room with a view

At 8pm after 4 hours of waiting in temperatures around -10 and in near darkness, three young boar finally showed up at my post appearing from the forest in the background. I watched them for 5 minutes until one finally moved away from the others and stood broadside. I shot it in the area marked with a red circle, it ran about 7 meters and dropped dead in the area of the green circle.

After 2 more hours of waiting another two young boar returned to the post, they sniffed the dead pig and then went about feeding. I waited till one of them presented a clear shot and shot it in exactly the same location as the previous one, it too ran off to the right and dropped down dead right beside the other one which was already lying there!

Here is a pic of the two boar lying on the road in the headlights after dragging them through 3 feet of snow

The larger male weighed in at 40kg and the smaller female at 32kg

The female

The male

A happy Jonathan

Caliber was 6.5x55 and 155 grain Lapua Mega at a distance of approx 30 meters.

I'm already planning a return trip in the Summer

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonher; 08-03-2010 at 18:51.

Hej Jonher, Glad to see you sorted out a bit of pig shooting and killed a couple. Plenty of pigs in Östergötland then . Its a bit of a drag driving east from Oslo though.
    Bet the snow was not to much of a shock though. Was the cost reasonable?

Well done on your first wild boar, you will soon be hooked on the sport, and hunting with a dog pack is even more fun, the baying of the dogs and the horns of the handlers all adding to the noise and excitent. Here is a photo of one of mine taken with a spear, let me know if you fancy a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0430.jpg  

Neil, Mrs Finnbear wanted to know why I had the monitor in my hands on end! I said I was struggling to find the rotate button!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

After turning my laptop back round i scrolled down to your post..

Congrats on a great looking trip johner..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Hej Jonher, Glad to see you sorted out a bit of pig shooting and killed a couple. Plenty of pigs in Östergötland then . Its a bit of a drag driving east from Oslo though.
    Bet the snow was not to much of a shock though. Was the cost reasonable?
    @ Jagare: Thanks it was a great experience, I only saw three pigs over the two days hunting but I shot two of them so it's not that bad! I'm sure if we stayed out longer in the cold we would have seen more!

The 6.5 hour drive was long but the roads were good and the traffic was light so it wasn't as bad as I was expecting to be honest. Until there's a healthy population of pigs in Norway I'm happy to drive, though I may try somewhere closer to Norway next time, any recomendations?

The cost was 900 SEK (£84) per night for hunting, accomodation was 400 SEK (£37) for 3 nights and to purchase the meat was 35 SEK (£3.26) per KG. That reminds me, is it common practice to weigh the pigs with their skin and head on after the gutting, I thought if you paying per KG for meat the carcass would be skinned and head removed etc?

Quote Originally Posted by neilgavin View Post
    Well done on your first wild boar, you will soon be hooked on the sport, and hunting with a dog pack is even more fun, the baying of the dogs and the horns of the handlers all adding to the noise and excitent. Here is a photo of one of mine taken with a spear, let me know if you fancy a try.
    @ neilgavin: thanks - I'm already hooked and the idea of hunting with dogs sounds like fun please send me some details?

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post

Congrats on a great looking trip johner..
    @ pheasant sniper 1: thanks, I'm already planning another trip!

Thanks for the positive replies

Jonathan

Hej jonher, At the moment you have to travel east passed Jönköping to get into the boar or travel south to Halland, Skåne. The boar are spreading rappidly north of Göteborg. So perhaps in the not to distant future you will be able to shoot them nearer to home.
    I hope to be able to hunt them around here in the next couple of years. Will put up a feeder this year.
    Keep an eye on the Jägareförbundets annonstorget there is often boar hunting in there.
    I would have thought the boar are sold in there skins with the head on. I read that so many had been shot in the snow in Skåne that the price of boar meat had dropped. But it does not sound like you paid to much

Johner

You got a real bargain for your boar hunting, when i am out its vastly more expensive, but you are talking about at least 2 dog packs and chasse assistants, hunt breakfast and dinner and all you can drink, plus 2 nights hotel etc, but you are assured a boar.

Who did you go with, i may be interested in booking to get the flavour of shooting them from a hide in the snow,, i just love boar meat and currently have about 150kg in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Hej jonher, At the moment you have to travel east passed Jönköping to get into the boar or travel south to Halland, Skåne. The boar are spreading rappidly north of Göteborg. So perhaps in the not to distant future you will be able to shoot them nearer to home.
    I hope to be able to hunt them around here in the next couple of years. Will put up a feeder this year.
    Keep an eye on the Jägareförbundets annonstorget there is often boar hunting in there.
    I would have thought the boar are sold in there skins with the head on. I read that so many had been shot in the snow in Skåne that the price of boar meat had dropped. But it does not sound like you paid to much
    @ Jagare: Thanks for the reply, I'll keep an eye on the Jägareförbundets annonstorget.

Quote Originally Posted by neilgavin View Post
    Johner

You got a real bargain for your boar hunting, when i am out its vastly more expensive, but you are talking about at least 2 dog packs and chasse assistants, hunt breakfast and dinner and all you can drink, plus 2 nights hotel etc, but you are assured a boar.

Who did you go with, i may be interested in booking to get the flavour of shooting them from a hide in the snow,, i just love boar meat and currently have about 150kg in the freezer.
    @ neilgavin: Yes the price we paid was pretty cheap, but like you said it was a "no frills affair" there were no hunting teams needed and we were self catering. My friend organised the hunt as he's a native Norwegian, I'll ask him for the details and get back to you. I've never tried wild boar meat, so I'm looking forward to BBQ'ing some ribs in the spring/summer