Funeral plans, what would you choose?

Wingy

The mother in law has been banging on about a will and saying that we need to sort one out. This got me thinking about what I'd like for my funeral arrangements and have come up with
Songs
Die with your boots on - iron maiden
November rain - guns 'n' roses
Prayer
The Lord is my shepherd
Reading
Burns the stalker - Robert Burns
Then cremated & ashes scattered over the highlands where the deer roam.

What would your wishes be?
Hoping to be here a bit longer yet though
Wingy

Wingy, Just make sure that you arrange At least 2 witnesses for any will to be made out.
I know Scotttish law is different but the hassle that other people can cause to try and get their own way is feckin unbelievable.
Me i want my ashes scattered in the wind at several places that i like.
First Place Glencoe
Second Place Loch Lomond
Third The Lake District
Fourth and Fifth My familys 2 farms in N. Ireland where my Maw and Da where born and i spent my summer holidays

Which reminds me that I / We need to sort my our wills out as we don't want the bunch of leeches called the in laws and her bunch of reprobates to get a single penny or hair of anything that we own.

I did go to a funeral of a shooting chum a few years ago that exited to 'Bat out of Hell'

The mother in law has been banging on about a will and saying that we need to sort one out. This got me thinking about what I'd like for my funeral arrangements and have come up with
Songs
Die with your boots on - iron maiden
November rain - guns 'n' roses
Prayer
The Lord is my shepherd
Reading
Burns the stalker - Robert Burns
Then cremated & ashes scattered over the highlands where the deer roam.

What would your wishes be?
Hoping to be here a bit longer yet though
Wingy

for you to live till your 100 and for me to attend your funeral lol

Funeral plan...very good idea.
I did that with/for my mum. It's a bit odd sitting and picking a casket,handles etc and what cars will be needed but the important thing is that the person gets what they want.
Same with the will...person gets to do what they want including disposal of ashes.
It's unbelievable how some relatives can behave after a parent dies, sometimes money is thicker than blood.

Funeral song for me...

"Can't you hear me knocking?" by the Stones
:)

Dont really care funerals are for the living I wont be there so they can have what ever they like

I did read somewhere about a chap who had his ashes loaded into a case of cartridges. Then all his friends went out for a good days Phaesant shooting and spread him around his favourite drives.

My one fear is ending up in a large council cemetery for the rest of eternity.

Cardboard box wil do me, burnt on a big fire one winter by the lakes and ashes spread about the lakes.

Neil. :)

A friend of mine departed recently and one of the songs was 'All things Bright and Beautiful' and the service finished off with 'And another one bites the dust' !!
During the song All Things Bright and Beautiful the Lord God made them all' the last bit was replaced, quietly I might add, 'And Peter shot them all' !!
Very apt I thought.
I have just cancelled my life insurance and bought an amount to cover the funeral in premium bonds, as for a will, I don't intend to leave any cash so they can do what they like with the house.
I must admit tho, recently I was a bit worried that I might go before my good lady so started to clear out my shed, garage and other hidey holes !!

Last edited:
My mother died in April this year, aged 94, so I can tell you that being dead is not cheap!

The funeral was a very basic funeral, standard basic coffin, with vicar, organist, hearse and two cars, followed by cremation all at the local municipal crematorium. The total for all that came to a final total £ 3,300 (yes...three thousand three hundred) of which £ 700 was the charge made by the local municipal crematorium....including "environmental carbon tax" of £ 100! True you wouldn't believe it!

All very traditional with "Abide with Me" and Etc.. And all done in just thirty minutes. Like a conveyor belt really, one out, next in, next out, next in.

But it doesn't end there. The solicitor's cost from death to Grant of Probate will be just under £ 4,000 (yes...four thousand) as there were some issue in the estate, so that meant I preferred not to do it myself but use the solicitor that drew up her will.

So dying ain't cheap and a funeral plan is possibly, maybe, not a bad idea given that I certainly had no idea that such things were now so expensive.

Last edited:
true m8,my dads cost 2800 2 years ago ,only 1 car following and cremation .his ashes scattered in a beautiful garden .tune was amazing grace but no vicar .humanist funeral as dad hated the "crows"as a mention of churches n vicars sent him very angry.already set me up as power of attorney .so no dramas there.but yes my sister ,her husband n myself witnessed and agreed the will as my scrote of an older brother and my sister in law wouldve sold everything to house clearance n put mum in a home.remember where theres a will theres relatives

I really couldn't care less. I don't know whose problem it will be , but I certainly know whose problem it won't be.

atb Tim

Keele University Medical training centre, dead simple to arrange and all dealt with.

Last edited:
Just as there sending me into the oven and the curtains close I'd like them to play feeling hot hot hot by the merry men !!! And see everyone smile as they think eye a bloody wind up merchant to the end !!!

For me the song would be Good Riddance (time of your life) by Green Day. My ashes I would ask to be cast over one of the syndicates I shoot, which has many good memories for me. I would hope after my departure that my family would from time to time walk with dog, taking in the fantastic views where I lay and remember fondly of me.

Hopefully I have not reached "my" cull target just yet and have many more years ahead - good health.

ATB 243 Stalker.

I think I'll wait until things get a little closer before I choose which songs. As for a will, that's a good idea all round. Even if you aren't planning to leave a lot, it just ensures that it goes to those you love. As for burial - too expensive to have a grave that soon enough nobody will visit. As for my ashes, I'm not too bothered. There are places I love in the country but I don't think spreading my dust there will help anything.

But having sorted out both parents funerals, both of whom wanted simple affairs in the last couple of years, I can verify that three grand is just the starting price. It does pay to have a will and choose executors wisely. It also pays to have a power of attorney sorted once you start to get a bit doddery. It only comes into effect once the marbles start to go, otherwise it's business as usual.

Back