Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison pudding

Venison pudding

I fancy doing a venison version of steak and kidney suet pudding. I have a couple of fallow kidneys and a few haunches in the freezer. Any advice or recipes??

Steamed venison Port pudding | BBC Good Food

I wouldn't put kidneys in it mate I think it'd be too strong as the pudding would be quite rich on its own. I'd also make sure the haunches were well trimmed of sinew even if it means wasting a bit more than normal,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Biffo.
    I like sit for dinner at 6 ish. Just a shame I work till 5 and can't get round to you in time.

Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Biffo.
    I like sit for dinner at 6 ish. Just a shame I work till 5 and can't get round to you in time.

Bryan.
    Ha ha, it will keep!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Steamed venison Port pudding | BBC Good Food

I wouldn't put kidneys in it mate I think it'd be too strong as the pudding would be quite rich on its own. I'd also make sure the haunches were well trimmed of sinew even if it means wasting a bit more than normal,

Stratts
    thanks for that. Yes, I always trim well. Never had venison kidneys, don't normally bother but butcher left me a couple. Are they stronger than lamb??

Kidneys are fine in a pie. You could soak them in milk to take any sharpness they may have on them. Ive used roe kidneys a few time and dice them quite small to hide them from the wife. She always says its good and manages to dig em out but the flavours there.

Nutty

I did this last week! Fallow kidneys and roe venison. dusted with seasoned flour, browned, with onions. British beer, chicken stock (it was all I had but not overpowering) bit of herbs du province and bring to the boil to thicken. and then into a suet case - not too much gravy in the case though - keep that separate and simmer to cook out the booze - and steam for 6 hours (I made a big one) and it was f***ing fantastic! If you can make one with beef competently then you can do it with venison brilliantly :-)

Big BOLD flavour is not a bad thing....

Dinner this evening is a rushed job - Venison meatballs, crushed tomatoes and basil with pasta.....

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    I did this last week! Fallow kidneys and roe venison. dusted with seasoned flour, browned, with onions. British beer, chicken stock (it was all I had but not overpowering) bit of herbs du province and bring to the boil to thicken. and then into a suet case - not too much gravy in the case though - keep that separate and simmer to cook out the booze - and steam for 6 hours (I made a big one) and it was f***ing fantastic! If you can make one with beef competently then you can do it with venison brilliantly :-)

Big BOLD flavour is not a bad thing....

Dinner this evening is a rushed job - Venison meatballs, crushed tomatoes and basil with pasta.....
    I've just eaten, but I suddenly feel hungry !
    Last edited by biffo; 02-12-2014 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    I've just beaten, but I suddenly feel hungry !
    What have you been beating that has given you such an appetite ?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    What have you been beating that has given you such an appetite ?
    Touche! Just corrected it!