Thread: Taking your own firearms to Namibia

Taking your own firearms to Namibia

How easy is it to travel to Namibia with your own firearms?

We're looking at flying from London to Windhoek via Joburg in 2016. Has anyone done it previously? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Do you need to collect them in Joburg? Or are they checked all the way through etc? Or does it depend if you're overnighting in Joburg... ?

Thanks in advance.

I have no experience of going to Namibia. However, when I few to PE via Joberg we had to collect our rifles at Joberg and then check them onto the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    I have no experience of going to Namibia. However, when I few to PE via Joberg we had to collect our rifles at Joberg and then check them onto the next one.
    Tom, been there, done that.

It's flying into Windhoek specifically I'm interested in.

Windhoek itself was fine when I was there in 2011 very straightforward just have your paperwork filled out clearly for the officer and your letter of invitation on you, very easy going but I think you will have to do extra paperwork when changing at Joberg.

We're going at the beginning of April next year.

Precisely to avoid the "Joburg issue" I elected to go direct from Frankfurt by Air Namibia. There is however a cost to this.

I hunted in Namibia last year and had a good time.

It's a while since I've been to Namibia, but why not go via Frankfurt? Loads of Germans travel there for hunting and holidays. As I recall it was simple and, like Joburg they have a separate firearms office at the airport in Windhoek for the hunters.
    i do recall, on the way home, discussing with one of the officials what i had shot and a rather grumpy German gentleman,who had obviously had a bad time, getting a bit agitated as I reeled of my list - all of which were quite modest. I recall I shot a gold medal Steenbuck with its tiny wee horns. Poor wee thing.
    Anyway, have fun. It's a nice place.

Been through twice in 2014, no worries very straight forward couldn't be easier, pm if you want any more info

You can fly LHR to Windhoek with SAA all the way via Jo,burg. You can check your firearms and luggage straight through. You should allow a couple of hours for both you and luggage to transit Jo,burg.

Clearing a firearm in Windhoek is a doddle. Max of 80 rounds allowed to import.

I visited Namibia in 2014. Travel there and back was very straightforward with SAA from Heathrow to Windhoek via Johannesburg. I would happily go that way again. Luggage was booked straight through and collected at Windhoek airport. If you cling on tightly to all of the paperwork, and can produce it when required, it should be no problem.
    If you have not already seen it, have a quick look at “Paperwork - Heathrow to Namibia - EU regulations

As Sika98k said, allow enough time for the transition at Joburg.

I did wonder what would happen if flights are unexpectedly delayed, necessitating a stopover in Joburg.

Have a splendid time!

Thanks for all the helpful feedback guys. Much appreciated.