Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap rifle 270 or maybe 243. BRNO zkk or similar?

Cheap rifle 270 or maybe 243. BRNO zkk or similar?

Hi all,

Well my certificate application has been posted and my cabinet is fitted so I suppose it's time to start looking for a rifle!
    In an ideal world this rifle would be
    A 270 (I have also put down for 243 but realistically one rifle will have to do me for quite some time so 270 might be more versatile)
    Screwcut for moderator and/or coming with one
    As cheap as possible
    Reliable and working

Those are my only requirements really. I like the look and reputation of the BRNO zkk600, so something along those lines as a benchmark. Dont necessarily need a scope, as I have one coming on approval from a member, which I think I will most likely approve of having used the model below. I will need mounts/rings etc to attach said scope. Would of course consider a full setup and sell on whichever scope I don't like.
    Extra goodies like slings, cases, slips, ammo etc would be welcome but not essential. Obviously I can't buy until my certificate comes through, but could make arrangements to store at RFD or seller can keep it safe until my cert comes.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

plenty of people messaged me when i started looking for a .243 so I'm sure theres some nice ones about. most people were quoting me was 500 for a full set up so nice and cheap

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    plenty of people messaged me when i started looking for a .243 so I'm sure theres some nice ones about. most people were quoting me was 500 for a full set up so nice and cheap
    what did you settle on James? just curious :-)

am currently looking at the modded howa 1500 for sale in classifieds as have heard good reviews although haven't fully made my mind up yet, still have some thinking to do although theres so much choice!

If you find something you like dont hang around it can be hard to buy used rifles - they don't make them to order. Hard to sell them sometimes but there you go.

I'm also waiting for my variation to come through...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    am currently looking at the modded howa 1500 for sale in classifieds as have heard good reviews although haven't fully made my mind up yet, still have some thinking to do although theres so much choice!
    I had a look at that, but to be honest I'm looking at spending about 350 at the very most.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I just posted a very good Parker Hale .270 for sale here, well within your budget. It's not screwcut but I could do this for an extra 50.
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria

that parker hale is a nice gun, mate shoots his .243 in a quarter inch group at 150 yards

My first stalking rifle was a Parker Hale Safari Deluxe in .270W, absolutely identical to the one Webley Boy is selling - it travelled around the world twice over with me, hunted large game on four continents and was as accurate and reliable as you could wish for. 250 is a complete steal - buying a modern rifle with equivalent out-of-the-box quality would cost you at least 1,500 to 2,000 with pillar and resin bedding, walnut stock & cold hammer-forged barrel.

Replace the outdated Parker Hale scope rings and dovetail bases with Leupold STD rings and bases (I've probably got some 1" high ones you can have) and you've got a perfect hunting rifle.

In fact - as you're local to me - if you buy the PH, I'll give you a hand to set it up with whatever spares I've got knocking around from the 8-9 PH rifles I own or have owned AND I'll develop a load for you. That's how much I think people should appreciate these guns!

I'm almost tempted by it myself, just for nostalgia's sake...
    Last edited by Adamant; 02-12-2014 at 14:12. Reason: Added information...

Simon you could do a lot worse than giving Closeburn sporting services a call.
    I put a gentleman from here in touch as they had a 243 with a zeiss 6x42 gracing it for very little money.
    They have an excellent selection of used guns for sale.
    I've nowt to do with them other than having had excellent service from them.
    Last edited by limulus; 02-12-2014 at 17:05. Reason: damn autocorrect
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks