Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: berger vld hunting

berger vld hunting

hi any of you using 140 grain hunting vld in your 6.5x55 iam thinking of loading some of these up for stalking fallow deer. would any of you recommend them over 140 grain sst

Vld hunting are very accurate but they don't expand on deer . Stick with the Sst ,

How far are you planning to shoot that you'd need a "long range" bullet?? I agree. Stick with the SST's. My 6.5 loves them.~Muir

Worst hunting bullet ever made, on the other hand probably the most accurate bullet ever made, if you want pass throughs these are the best at it.

Opinion does seem divided on the Berger Hunting VLD which is a real Bummer as I have just got my 25-06 to shoot with them.

Yorkie.

I tried the 95gr vld's in my 243, accurate but they did not expand. Straight through everything, foxes, Sika and roe

Al

Really surprised at the bad comments about VLD's.
    Nothing I have shot with them has walked, all DRT. Fallow, reds and fox. Head and heart shot. I'm using 168grn at about 2950fps.
    That said if you're current load is sweet don't bother unless you love load testing.

I used the 130 grain hunting vld in my 6.5x55 last year with mixed results. Some would expand rapidly and others would pass straight through.
    I gave up on them after losing 2 fallow that were chest shot at less than 100 yards. I went back to hornady bullets.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bob257 View Post
    Vld hunting are very accurate but they don't expand on deer . Stick with the Sst ,
    Yawn.....

Expanding 'Hunting' Bergers work very well, especially if used at more extended ranges. I would not however recommend them for shooting at very close range like under 100-150 yards depending on MV velocity etc. They will work, but the results can be a bit explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Worst hunting bullet ever made, on the other hand probably the most accurate bullet ever made, if you want pass throughs these are the best at it.
    As above - I tried the 87 grn and the 95 grn VLD hunting bullets in my old 6BR - Very accurate - But awful for hunting or foxing or varminting . they just pass straight through every time.

I don't know how they perform in larger calibres , but I refused to use them for anything other but putting holes in paper or ringing a gong or two.

ATB
    Alan
    Last edited by sir-slots-alot; 06-12-2014 at 16:17.