Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Binoculars to buy?

Which Binoculars to buy?

What are your thoughts on which binoculars to buy? They will be mostly used for woodland stalking. I have been told the swarovski are probably the best but wondered what you guys are using? Unsure of what mag etc to get. I have 800 to spend but this appears to be very little cash when buying binoculars!

Swarovski 8x42 Swarovision if possible ... Look no further, will last you a lifetime ... For your budget look at Macleods of Tain and see what Gregor has in stock this week. HTH

7 or 8 times magnification I've found best for woodland stalking and I would look for a second hand pair of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica or Optilyth binos rather than buying cheaper new pair.

For your budget you will not go wrong buying a good pair used Zeiss dialyt 7x42 t*p* classic.

the best advice you will ever get

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Swarovski 8x42 Swarovision if possible ... Look no further, will last you a lifetime ... For your budget look at Macleods of Tain and see what Gregor has in stock this week. HTH

I've just done a load of research into this. I'm going to go with Vortex Viper HD 8x42, as I don't have quite as much budget to play with as you do, but the Vortex Razor HD were very highly recommended.

Lots of useful info here:

The Best Binoculars Binocular Reviews Website

The difference is there in the very high end optics, but the price curve is steep for a little bit more performance...and can you see it, and do you need it?

Vortex Viper HD, Nikon Monarch ATB, upper end Minox, and older but-hardly-used Zeiss and Swaro offer a lot for under $500 USD.
    An older comparison
    http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_2011.html

A subjective comparison you may want to try yourself:
    http://www.opticstalk.com/binoc-revi...opic26105.html

A friend of mine, an amateur astronomer who has a $4,000 spotting scope for wildlife, bought the Minox 8.5x43mm and is thrilled after 3 years with them.
    Last edited by Southern; 01-12-2014 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    What are your thoughts on which binoculars to buy? They will be mostly used for woodland stalking. I have been told the swarovski are probably the best but wondered what you guys are using? Unsure of what mag etc to get. I have 800 to spend but this appears to be very little cash when buying binoculars!
    'The best ' is what suits you , some seriously good glass out there now for precious little money , i use my faithfull old Zeiss 7x42 BGAT's actually in the woods , never really found anything better that i could justify spending huge amounts of extra money on .I have a pair of Minox 8x44 BL's that i use often , compared these directly against the best from Zeiss / Swaro / Leica a while back at a local birding reserve , yes , the 1000 pairs were probably a fraction of a percent better but my tired eyes could not see a marked difference despite the price tags .
    Best advice is go and try as many as you can at the same time and see what suits you .

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdave View Post
    the best advice you will ever get
    8x42 ELs are rarer than hen's teeth!

I think it would be very tough to find any Swarovision EL for 800 but the older EL 8.5x42 can certainly be had for that kind of money and is a nice binocular. The latest SLC 8x42 (they constantly seem to evolve from what was once SLC, then SLC Neu and then SLC HD and back to SLC again) is also very nice glass which a lot of people prefer to the Swarovision EL.

Get some Minox BV 8 x 42 and then spend the +600 on something else! I have some Swaro EL 8.5 x42 as well, but to be honest, there is very little between them other than about 1400 cost!
    MS