Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 260 (6.5mm) bullets are you having success with?

What 260 (6.5mm) bullets are you having success with?

I'm really struggling to find a really consistent load in my new 260 (re-barrelled sako 75). I've tried 3 powders, 2 primers and numerous jumps to the lands, but I can't get it to shoot nosler 120gn BTs less than an inch. Next step is going up to a 130or 140gn bullet. What are people having success with?

ta :-)

I've had success with 123 gr A-Max, 140 gr A-Max, 142 gr SMK, Hornady 129 gr SP. Didn't like 129gr SST, struggled with 130gr Scirocco. At some point I'm going to look at 125gr Noslers. However, my first thought would be to look at the brass you are using and your brass prep. Currently I am using Nosler and Lapua brass and full length resize it. Mostly I am using N160, although I do use N165 for 140/142 gr bullets. I've only got CCI 200 primers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot%20group.pdf

How does your rifle shoot with factory ammo?

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 02-12-2014 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post

I've had success with 123 gr A-Max, 140 gr A-Max, 142 gr SMK, Hornady 129 gr SP. Didn't like 129gr SST, struggled with 130gr Scirocco. At some point I'm going to look at 125gr Noslers. However, my first thought would be to look at the brass you are using and your brass prep. Currently I am using Nosler and Lapua brass and full length resize it. Mostly I am using N160, although I do use N165 for 140/142 gr bullets. I've only got CCI 200 primers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot%20group.pdf

How does your rifle shoot with factory ammo?

Regards

JCS
    my rifle didn't like any factory ammo really , useable accuracy to thump a deer in the boiler room but that's not what I'd hoped for when my rifle was built !

however , sticking a 140 amax over a full lapua case of N560 and lighting it with a BR primer showed what the rifle was capable of !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    I'm really struggling to find a really consistent load in my new 260 (re-barrelled sako 75). I've tried 3 powders, 2 primers and numerous jumps to the lands, but I can't get it to shoot nosler 120gn BTs less than an inch. Next step is going up to a 130or 140gn bullet. What are people having success with?

ta :-)
    what powders, primers and brass are you using?
    what barrel and what twist?
    what is it chambered/throated at? (builders tend to throat for a particular bullet length/style/profile)

personally I find that if you are not seeing noticeable gains from charge levels in a powder bullet combination playing with seating depth is not going to suddenly produce groups in the ones.

I tend to get one possibly two obvious points where groups shrink through a charge range, even with relatively large jumps in powder
    take one that suits your velocity requirements and then alter charge level OAL either side in smaller increments

Thanks for the thoughts...

1 in 8.5 twist, was supposed to be throated for 120gn range bullets. Lapua brass, neck sized, trimmed to length... Will full length it in future. Tried H414, H4350 and R17 with CCI & Fiocchi primers and like tackb, it's good enough for boilerroom but not what I'd hoped for and currently regretting the whole re-barrelling exercise! :-(

Not tried factory ammo as not been able to easily put my hands on any.

Funny enough, it hates the H4350, which seems to be the go to powder for 260's on a lot of the US forums...
    Last edited by 75; 02-12-2014 at 09:25.

I assume you've eliminated the rebarrel from this equation?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Strange.

I established early on that my 260 didn't give it's best with the slower powders. However, once I moved to Benchmark or Re17, it has been a great performer.

The other thing is that mine is pretty sensitive about seating depth, it does not perform well with the bullets near the lands, needs a good jump....

I now find I have little or no development work to do changing bullets, providing they are in the 120-130gr range, it shoots 120gr BT's, 120gr TTSX, 123gr SST, 107gr Scenars and 125 gr Partitions equally well, all with the same charge of Re17.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Have you talked to your smith? 1 in 8.5 is probably optimal for 120-130g. Would be worth trying some 140s. My 6.5x47 with 1:8.25 loves 123 scenars and 120 NBT

Is your rifle properly bedded & is it correctly torqued into the stock? Also is the new crown perfect? - To get the group down these may need attention.
    It sounds like you may have a harmonics problem with that weight of bullet. Different powder / primer etc combinations are likely to be delivering very similar velocities which for the same bullet weight & bearing surface area are resulting in you repeatedly missing the accuracy nodes.
    Maybe try some significantly lighter or heavier projectiles & see what results you get.
    Another way of seeing if it is a harmonics problem would be to add or remove a heavy moderator to compare group sizes.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    1 in 8.5 twist, was supposed to be throated for 120gn range bullets.
    what barrel brand and length?
    what charge levels are you using in the various powders?

are they not quite fast powders for the 120gr?
    the VV equivalent is N160 and N550 which is comparable to RL19/22 and H4831

Products - Lapua

I would be looking to get a decent fill of a slower powder personally