Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 weights

Tikka T3 weights

I'm thinking of getting a T3 Lite .308 in stainless. I looked at the site to see what the weight difference was between blue & stainless and was surprised to see they are both quoted as 2.8Kg or 6lb 3oz in old money.
    How can this be though, we all know stainless is heavier or am I missing something (wouldn't be the first time )

http://www.tikka.fi/t3rifles.php

fraser

It is down to the stocks i think.The stainless version has a light weight polymer stock wear as the blued model has a wood stock which is probaly has more weight.
    CHEERS SEAN

The answer may well be in the stock but from the website they both have a polymer stock.
    Still confused.com

fraser

As I recall both the stainless and the blue have glass reinforced co-polymer stocks. Both barrels are made out of steel (possibly marginally different alloys) only the finish is different. So I’m not to clear why you expect the weights to be different.

I went for a T3 .308 ‘Varmint’ in blue, shoots well but with a T8 mod it is heavy and after a days outing I often wonder if I should have gone for the lite.

Cheers,

Sportsman15

Why would stainless be heavier than any other steel? The difference in alloy proportions is tiny.

I have a 595 tikka,
    I found the T3 to feel like a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonandy View Post
    Why would stainless be heavier than any other steel? The difference in alloy proportions is tiny.
    The problem is that are about 1000 different grades of what is called Stainless steel and denisty can differ greatly.

I think that the originators of Stains - less steels would have caused less disinformation by hyphenating their title / name for it, story has it that they sacked the guy responsible for the batch of steel he "thoughtlessy cocked up", & when the directors were looking out of the office over the stockyard, they noticed that a certain batch wasn't exhibiting the usual rust, got the guy back in for an interview, found out what he did "wrong" & saw him off again, the rest is history, how true I know not!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I may be way off track here and not answering the question but isnt there a range of T3's
    Blue with Wood (hunter)
    Blue with Synthetic (lite)
    Stainless with Synthetic (lite stainless)

The bottom 2 are in the same stock therefore will, to all intents and purposes be the same weight (dont think the minimal difference in alloy weight will make the difference). They are both the 'lite' model and the same dimensions.

The question that you need to ask is 'do i want a stainless rifle or a blued?' especially as the stainless is more money.

The hunter is a bit heavier but when i hefted a Sako 85 and a T3 hunter at the weekend the T3 was much much lighter! (i also have a 595 and its much heavier than a T3)

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The problem is that are about 1000 different grades of what is called Stainless steel and denisty can differ greatly.
    Thanks for all the replies. I thought it might be a website mistake so I e-mailed GMK and they confirmed that the blue and the stainless T3 Lite models are the same weight. I'm looking for total weather-proofness so I'll probably go for the stainless even though it is dearer.

I think Brithunter is probably right,it must be a grade of steel that is the same weight. I deal with lots of stainless stuff at work and I've got used to it being significantly heavier but it looks like it ain't always so.

I used to know a good gunsmith who hated stainless. Not only 'cos it was harder to work and tended to bind (especially revolver mechanisms and semi-auto's) but he said that where ordinary steel had a certain elasticity and would show a bulge if there was a problem, stainless would just give up and blow.

fraser