Thread: would you use these

Possibly if it was the last bullet i ever used.

As the majority of home defence injuries are 'self inflicted' I'd be inclined to avoid them...
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

It does everything doesn't it? Massive destructive trauma on living tissue / penetrates wood, glass, cinder blocks, cars .... etc. etc. Bet the makers claim it'll penetrate the armour on a Russian T80 too making all anti-tank weapons obsolete overnight. Call me a cynic (Moi? ) but when somethings sounds too good to be true ... it nearly always is.

Assuming it does work as claimed (and handgun ammunition 'stopping power' is a highly complex and often contentious subject which has seen a lot of American research especially after the so-called 'FBI murders' of 1986 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout) this is going to be one helluva expensive bullet judging by the materials and the way it's made. That means that law enforcement agencies won't buy it or ammo loaded with it.

And .... if they can't have it, they'll move heaven and earth to stop cilvilians having it. With the damned thing's looks and the way the video markets it, it won't be a hard job to get the media on its case and see it and anybody who uses it well and truly demonised.

There is case history here. The Winchester 'Black Talon' bullet is similar in some respects (but not half as evil looking). It was introduced in 1991 and made available in a large range of handgun cartridges sold as law enforcement and self defence manstoppers. The media soon managed to give it a devil-bullet status and shooting victims' families tried to sue the Olin Corp for making this monstrous device available. Such was the bad publicity, Olin / Winchester withdrew it from general public sale after only two years and restricted sales to government and law enforcement outfits.

Saw these a little while ago. This is a two part review on The Truth About Guns, they tend to be pretty honest and accurate. Good read like....
    G2 Researchs RIP Ammo - Ballistic Testing, Phase One - The Truth About Guns

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    As the majority of home defence injuries are 'self inflicted' I'd be inclined to avoid them...
    Where do you get this bit of wisdom? ~Muir

"Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home." is one study worth looking at, there are others.
    (For what it's worth I'm not taking the use of such ammunition too seriously, I just hold a view that accidents are more likely to happen than attacks, being shot is not going to go well and even less well with destructive ammunition such as this). Not a particular issue in the UK.

Last edited by RickoShay; 05-12-2014 at 21:46.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

That will do nicely alongside the zombie max for the day o reckoning

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    "Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home." is one study worth looking at, there are others.
    (For what it's worth I'm not taking the use of such ammunition too seriously, I just hold a view that accidents are more likely to happen than attacks, being shot is not going to go well and even less well with destructive ammunition such as this). Not a particular issue in the UK.

I've read it many times. You wrote "...the majority of home defense injuries are self inflicted". That is not the truth. Kellerman's contention that a firearm in the house increased the chance of death by firearm by a factor of 42 was recanted, quietly, when he was challenged on the statement. He later admitted that the factor was 2.6 times greater and admitted that his study dismissed the times when a firearm in the home saved lives. What you are probably talking about is Kellerman's statement that suicides were X percent higher in homes where a gun was reported to be kept for self defense. Which makes sense; if the gun wasn't there the guy would have found a different method of dispatching himself.

But all this is off topic. Sorry for the hijack.~Muir