Thread: Robin makes the day

Robin makes the day

Having booked a pm stalk with Robin & Geoff from Kent & Sussex Deer, i set of with a grin from ear to ear despite the bitter winter chill (finally) that has blown in from the east. Despite the cold I knew the gents would have plenty of coffee on tap and plenty of warm chatter and banter which always makes a day out with them rememberable.

We set of on foot for a woodland stalk first in the afternoon and despite the elements and the heavily leafy & twig ground cover we were soon onto deer. Stalking into a pair as we thought, grazing on the edge of the wood, we tipped our cap to these crafty little beasts as what we thought were only two turned out to be four with the old doe craftily hidden up in the thicket keeping a watchful eye, our approach spotted they made off. Checking their spoor and direction we set off to relocate this group. Coming up on a high ground we locate them, alert and jumpy, stalking in we made ready and the briefest of opportunities presenting, the round was away and the first fallow down, a lovely doe.

Gralloch done and a welcome cup of coffee later, we headed off for a evening in a new doe-box Geoff and Robin had just completed. Settling down Robin and I waited for the evening to draw in and the deer to make their way out onto the clover rich field to feed. With the doe-box over looking two fields, Robin took sentry duty the left side and I the right. Time pasted and with the light just at the last, the beady old eyes of Robin spotted a deer who had literally walked the length of the field (my field of observation) undetected by me but thankfully for Robins sharp eyes I was able take a second of the day in what was definably the last of the light, a shot I would never have taken if it wasn't for the Swarovski scopes which still offered a clear shot when the bino's were struggling. Pleased to get this off the ground as he turned out to be very poor headed buck looking more like a prickett than someone of his age.

Thanks again gents for another great afternoon, always a pleasure to head out with you both.

Ps. Geoff...think you could put in a table for the coffee flask in the doe-box, apart form the heater it was all Robin and I could think was missing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	667.3 KB 
ID:	49966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	49967

Congratulations Dave and all concerned, sounds like you had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxydave View Post
    Having booked a pm stalk with Robin & Geoff from Kent & Sussex Deer, i set of with a grin from ear to ear despite the bitter winter chill (finally) that has blown in from the east. Despite the cold I knew the gents would have plenty of coffee on tap and plenty of warm chatter and banter which always makes a day out with them rememberable.

We set of on foot for a woodland stalk first in the afternoon and despite the elements and the heavily leafy & twig ground cover we were soon onto deer. Stalking into a pair as we thought, grazing on the edge of the wood, we tipped our cap to these crafty little beasts as what we thought were only two turned out to be four with the old doe craftily hidden up in the thicket keeping a watchful eye, our approach spotted they made off. Checking their spoor and direction we set off to relocate this group. Coming up on a high ground we locate them, alert and jumpy, stalking in we made ready and the briefest of opportunities presenting, the round was away and the first fallow down, a lovely doe.

Gralloch done and a welcome cup of coffee later, we headed off for a evening in a new doe-box Geoff and Robin had just completed. Settling down Robin and I waited for the evening to draw in and the deer to make their way out onto the clover rich field to feed. With the doe-box over looking two fields, Robin took sentry duty the left side and I the right. Time pasted and with the light just at the last, the beady old eyes of Robin spotted a deer who had literally walked the length of the field (my field of observation) undetected by me but thankfully for Robins sharp eyes I was able take a second of the day in what was definably the last of the light, a shot I would never have taken if it wasn't for the Swarovski scopes which still offered a clear shot when the bino's were struggling. Pleased to get this off the ground as he turned out to be very poor headed buck looking more like a prickett than someone of his age.

Thanks again gents for another great afternoon, always a pleasure to head out with you both.

Ps. Geoff...think you could put in a table for the coffee flask in the doe-box, apart form the heater it was all Robin and I could think was missing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	667.3 KB 
ID:	49966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	49967
    Good read well done top marks to you all
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

Well done, sounds like a good day.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Always a pleasure Dave, why do you always shoot two when you come ?
    Both the shots were taken with no fuss and I was confident you were okay with either, although the last was only just visible with the bins.
    That leaf litter really makes life difficult to stalk through, how does everyone else solve the problem ?
    Now the leaf is mostly gone from the trees stalking has gone up a level, as the deer can spot us from much further away.
    On the plus side we can also see them much sooner.
    Anyway well done again and see you on the 3rd.
    Happy Christmas to you and your family and the same to all our clients and everyone else, you have given Geoff and I some memorable stalking this year,
    we look forward to seeing all of you again and the new ones already in the diary next for year.

Hi Dave Pleased to hear that the new Doe box met with your approval, i will see to it that the cup holders are in place before your next outing,
    Regards Geoff