Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day out at Carlton Moor Range

Day out at Carlton Moor Range

Following on from an invite to go Red Deer stalking i was also invited to hav a few rounds down a newly installed and finished 100m rifle range which is set under ground
    How cool is that
    so as i set off on thursday evening not really knowing what to expect i reached my destination set in the beautifull Peak District
    i arrived about 8:30 pm to my surprise there were several cars unknown to me on site , in a well lit building i spotted my host for that night and the following day, a head appeared from around the door from a building that when i last saw was just a run down shack
    beckoning me in with the promise of a brew
    I just had to accept
    Well rude not to
    On entry my surprise and look of sheer shock of this transformation said it all, but more so the people inside had just arrived to use the range, but it was 8:30pm for christ sake, no matter i was told as this was a 24 hour booking scheme, so enough of you book i will open it at any time
    whilst they were trying the range i sat chewing the fat with Dweeb who worked for Mike
    with out realising it the chaps and Mike appeared back in the classroom now 10:30 pm
    soon it was lights out and await the early morning alarm
    that came sooner than i thought, quick brew and we were off
    Mike being Mike gave me the low down on what we were expecting to acheive and more so as we were to split up and stalk different sections , as i knew the ground well and the need to put a beast in his larder was a sought of must, a plan was made just at that a Red hind and stag calf were spotted about 800 yards away , but boy did they look jumpy, an increase of poaching in the area does that
    but atleast they were on my section to stalk , easy i thought to myself but how wrong could a man be
    2 hours and several valleys later they had vanished, so back to plan B
    BREAKFAST
    venison sausages wrapped in fresh dough washed down with a warm strong Mug of coffee made the whole trip worth it
    but know more to come this time i exchaged my rifle for the camera as i was told it would be worth it
    the classroom with facilites for both sexes and quite good disabled access
    a few pics for those interested
    the car park attendant

the class room

Mike on coffe duty

fully functional loading bench on site

the range outside view and target shed

Last edited by stone; 08-03-2010 at 22:23.

the range itself

Entrance

veiw of targets at other end of tunnel ( damn i like my new camera)

CCTV screen for close up of targets at shooters end

Having a play

i can only say i enjoyed my evening and day out with the gang at Mike's
    where else can you go where you can get a eve/morn stalk on deer, play in a tunnel testing load developements with your mates under full proffessional guidance with an RFD to boot, if you were lucky and did well on the stalk there is a fully prep and loaded larder on site for courses and help on butchery ,aswell as Mike being an AW,
    just make sure he throws in a breakfast FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=0"
    what more can you ask for
    i can only purvey my many thanks to Mike for his generous hospitality as always and wish him well for thefuture
    Cheers

Looks a cracking set up mike has there Rich.

Got the camera in the end, what did you get?

Speak at the weekend if you are about

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Looks a cracking set up mike has there Rich.

Got the camera in the end, what did you get?

Speak at the weekend if you are about

Jon
    Jon
    got the Canon powershot SX20 IS
    little pricey but worth it
    Russ
    it is a cracking Range but the whole set up is what makes it all worth while

It looks like the range i use at steadhall nr otley 100mts in door down underground tubes with shop etc top stuff
    amberdog

What a place mate if only we culd all have a range like that Nice one .... Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Amberdog View Post
    It looks like the range i use at steadhall nr otley 100mts in door down underground tubes with shop etc top stuff
    amberdog
    I recon when I retire my priority will be to build me a range like that.

Where about is the Otley tunnel range and what is the criteria to use it?

Dave

Dave it in burly in warfdale close to ilkley i will dig out a contact number for you they shoot mon,wed,fri evenings i think the none member cost was around a tenner per visit the bds use the site for level 1 training if you want sent me a pm and i will phone you
    amberdog
    Wayne

Mike has really out done himself with this range and classroom. I remember when I first saw it and had a few shots down the range, I was so shocked that all this set up was in his back garden. Hopefully have another chance to go down again soon.

Brent