Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: binocular magnification?

binocular magnification?

right, so there so many different types of binocular and different types of magnification,

what do they all mean and which is best but a great all rounder?

it seems they get more expensive as the size goes down which is confusing so please let me know a good all round binocular thats under the £500 mark

cheers
    JB

If you search hard enough you will find Meopta MeoStar's for that money.
    I chose 10x32 for my use and rate them highly.

Neil.

binocular magnification?

Objective lens size divided by magnification = exit pupil which is a virtual aperture or the amount of light which can exit the tube. The higher the number, the more light gathering capabilities the binoculars will have.
    The human eye has a maximum exit pupil of 7 however this is only in the young. As you get older your exit pupil decreases.

Saying all that, as with scopes at dusk, the difference between a pair with an exit pupil of 7 or more (6x42 for example) and an exit pupil of 3.75 (the same as my Swarovski SLCs 8x30) is negligible in my experience and can be measured in minutes as the light fades.

Go for the best quality glass you can afford and a body shape and size which suits you best. I would always buy secondhand and get better quality glass for the same price but that's a personal thing.
    Hope that helps.

Try and have a look through some different sets and see what works for you.
    I recently bought a pair of brilliant used Steiner 10x42, but it only took me a couple of uses to decide they weren't what I wanted.
    I swapped them for an identical pair in 8x42 and the difference to my eyes is huge, the 8x look much better. But the chap I swapped with is equally happy with his end of the deal. Different eyes, different needs.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

You definitely want to try them out before you buy a 10x. Some folks can hold them steady; some can't. (And I'm not just talking old geezers; I've never been able to hold them steady enough and have always preferred an 8x for hand-held applications.)

8x will also give you a wider field, which can be very useful hunting.

Even at the same magnification, different designs produce different widths of fields. This is one of the things you pay for: more expensive binoculars usually have either wider fields or better-corrected fields (ie: get less blurry at the edges).

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by phitt View Post
    Objective lens size divided by magnification = exit pupil which is a virtual aperture or the amount of light which can exit the tube. The higher the number, the more light gathering capabilities the binoculars will have.
    The human eye has a maximum exit pupil of 7 however this is only in the young. As you get older your exit pupil decreases.

Saying all that, as with scopes at dusk, the difference between a pair with an exit pupil of 7 or more (6x42 for example) and an exit pupil of 3.75 (the same as my Swarovski SLCs 8x30) is negligible in my experience and can be measured in minutes as the light fades.

Go for the best quality glass you can afford and a body shape and size which suits you best. I would always buy secondhand and get better quality glass for the same price but that's a personal thing.
    Hope that helps.
    Sound advice +1

Glendine

for all-round use I would stick to 8x magnification and 42mm objective lens size. 2 that are worth looking at in a shop would be:
    Minox BL 8x44 HD - £400 (new HD model)
    Kowa BD-XD 8x42 - £500 (new XD model)

There is no one perfect, single answer as to power.

As described above, 7x50 is the perfect balance of power, brightness, and focal length for young eyes.
    8x40 is going to be brighter than 10x42.

Then, you have to ask, how wide a field of view do you need? That depends on a lot of things, beginning with the range, the distance. Are you looking for one animal concealed, or grading an animal you spotted with the naked eye? Are you trying to check out a herd of moving game, like a herd of migrating caribou 500 yards away? If you glassing for a long period of time, like for sheep or goats at a mile or more away, where you might want huge binoculars on a tripod instead of a spotting scope?

If you just need quick and handy, in good light, you might want just a pair of compact binoculars, like Minox, Steiner, or Nikon in the 6x to 8x range.

How steady are your hands? The higher the power, the more you amplify your shaking. At some point, that reaches the point of making the image unclear. 10x is the max for most hands... two hands. If you are going to be carrying a rifle in one hand and raise the binos for a quick check as you stalk some targets, it will be with one hand, so you may want to drop down to 6x.

This is why you may need more than one pair of binoculars.

I have used my swaros 10 x 42 for many years, in fact I have just got them back from their first full service and they have come back as new.

while they were away I purchased a pair of Leupold 8 x 32 goldring binos to see me through, they were marked up for 947 I actually got them for 600 after a considerable amount of bartering and eyebrow flashing

well I now use the Leupolds more than the swaros, they are absolutely brilliant, twilight factor and pin sharp focusing for looking through bushes etc etc, I cannot fault them in any way, they are heavier than the swaros
    but once on they are balanced and ready to go. You don't notice around your neck Brilliant piece of kit at half of the Swaro price tag

i would say look around buy the best glass you can run to and Like, and even if they are secondhand they will still be good.
    measure twice cut once, don't overlook the lesser known makes, the Leupolds are quite something

atb

phil