Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .410 Pistol,anybody got one?

.410 Pistol,anybody got one?

Hi Folks

I am looking at getting a .410 Pistol and looking for advice/comments etc,it will be mainly for vermin around buildings,so who has got one?what have you got?where did you get it?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Yes I have. It took me 18 months to find one, and it is basically a cut down SBS. Not really what I wanted but I'd spent so long looking I brought the first one available. If something great came up I'd get it to a RFD and sell my SBS!

Keep an eye out on here, PW and Guntrader and Gunstar. I found mine on the latter.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

i could be mistaken, but, they are section 5, and normally only issued for humane dispatch for RTA's and hunts etc, so id be very surprised if you would be allowed one for this reason alone, what do you think you will achieve with a .410 pistol that cant be achieved with a normal .410?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    i could be mistaken...

You are, read the firearms act

Martin, what about a Thompson Centre - it would solve the long LOP/grip issues my Falco has, although I'd imagine it's considerably more expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    You are, read the firearms act

Martin, what about a Thompson Centre - it would solve the long LOP/grip issues my Falco has, although I'd imagine it's considerably more expensive...
    Re the firearms act...can you enlighten us with respect to the relevant part please.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

what do you think you will achieve with a .410 pistol that cant be achieved with a normal .410?
    A lot more missing ;-)

Interesting penetration tests:

I think it states any barrel less than 12" requires a firearm cert, I will have to check Moriarty.

i could be mistaken, but, they are section 5, and normally only issued for humane dispatch for RTA's and hunts etc, so id be very surprised if you would be allowed one for this reason alone, what do you think you will achieve with a .410 pistol that cant be achieved with a normal .410?
    Section 4 of the 1997 Act allows the possession, purchasing, acquiring, selling or
    transferring of shot pistols in calibres .410 and 9mm rimfire, provided that such a pistol is
    subject to a condition that it is only for use in connection with the shooting of vermin (see
    Appendix 3 for the exact wording of the condition which covers these circumstances). This
    exemption was intended mainly for pest controllers who may need to use a firearm of this
    kind in farm buildings, farmyards and similar areas where use of a conventional shotgun
    would be inappropriate, for example, barns, fruit cages or near release pens.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Re the firearms act...can you enlighten us with respect to the relevant part please.
    Sure thing - Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997:

4 Shot pistols used for shooting vermin.

1. The authority of the Secretary of State [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)] is not required by virtue of subsection (1)(aba) of section 5 of the 1968 Act for a person to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, or to sell or transfer, a shot pistol if he is authorised by a firearm certificate to have the shot pistol in his possession, or to purchase or acquire it, subject to a condition that it is only for use in connection with the shooting of vermin.

2. For the purposes of this section, “shot pistol” means a smooth-bored gun which is chambered for .410 cartridges or 9mm rim-fire cartridges.

N.B. Sorry Martin for the slight detour...I forgot to add last time, I found if the barrel goes much below 10" then the pattern is virtually useless beyond 5 yards or so. Mine with a 12" barrel still patterns well enough with 3" carts. for a squirrel/rat at 15 yards - great sport with a torch in the feed barns!
    Last edited by Tiff; 05-12-2014 at 13:24.