Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a first Rifle setup

Recommend me a first Rifle setup

Ok Guys this is a new direction for me (live quarry) as currently I do practical shotgun/mini rifles and clays but I have the option of some land next year that will need some vermin control (rats, rabbits, fox) and they have deer roaming the farm land too that they want keeping in check.

I already have a CZ 452 .22rf that can be used for the rats & rabbits and i'm booked on a DSC1 course the end of January so need to look at a suitable rifle setup for fox/deer, ideally i'm looking at a do it all calibre and believe .243 is the way to go for which I will need to put a variation in for (I already have authority for .223 & .308) at the end of next week when I complete the sale of one of my sec1 shotguns, i'm guessing for now i will need to just ask for it for target shooting and then after i have completed my DSC1 and have access to the land i can apply for my live quarry permission?.

I have a budget of £800 (£1,000 tops) for which i need a rifle, scope and moderator and a couple hundred rounds of ammo so i have time to practice before the DSC1.

So please recommend away as i don't know what's good and what's bad out there.

Thanks in advance

Tikka T3,Schmidt and Bender 8x56 (illuminated if budget reaches).....that should get somewhere near your budget.....
    .243 is a good calibre for all round but some say it will struggle on large Deer..not found that myself

May I ask why the need for .243 when you already have authority for .223 and .308? Is the .243 to replace both of those?
    If so, martins post is a good start. Or a Howa and have more money for ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    May I ask why the need for .243 when you already have authority for .223 and .308? Is the .243 to replace both of those?
    If so, martins post is a good start. Or a Howa and have more money for ammo
    I was lead to believe that .223 was too small for deer and .308 is too big for fox but .243 was an ideal compromise unless you are going for the bigger deer species?

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    i'm guessing for now i will need to just ask for it for target shooting and then after i have completed my DSC1 and have access to the land i can apply for my live quarry permission?.
    No, you've guessed wrong. Nothing to stop you putting in for all and every rifle for live quarry shooting provided you have land to shoot over that has the species on it - you'll need to demonstrate 'good reason' for each, so bone up on Ch13 of the HO Guidance. DSC1 is not required either.

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    I was lead to believe that .223 was too small for deer and .308 is too big for fox but .243 was an ideal compromise unless you are going for the bigger deer species?
    .223 OK for Chinese water deer and muntjac but not many of them in Southwest,.308 is fine for Fox,never had one complain!!

.243 if you are more into Foxing and occasional Deer will be fine

.308 if you are planning a lot of Deer and occasional Foxing will be best

I'd shove 6.5x55mm into the frame as a good all round calibre that slots into the gap between .243 & .308.

There's a Tikka M595 on guntrader (http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...41110165321001), but at £695 leaves little for the rest - £300 for an 8x56 is doable, but mounts, rings & ammo...?
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

As you may get a chance of boar your way? why not think of a used tikka 270 cracking its a real do it all cal , scope used ebay or on this site 8x56 S&B, mod hardy gen 4, nice and light. try looking on guntrader for a ball park out lay you may find a deal .
    good luck on your dsc

Plan on handloading, if you want to truly enjoy the flexibility which some cartridges can realize.

Something in between a .24 and a .30 caliber will span more into foxes and up into deer than stretching a .24 up to larger deer or a .308 down to varmints. Something like a CZ 550 FS carbine, with nice wood and blue steel, sights and trigger, in 6.5x55mm, will handle a lot of game, with no more recoil than many .243s. It is hefty but handy to carry, accurate and powerful enough to drop deer at 300 yards. Add on some Warne QD rings and a nice 6x scope, with money left to buy a press, scales and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Plan on handloading, if you want to truly enjoy the flexibility which some cartridges can realize.

Something in between a .24 and a .30 caliber will span more into foxes and up into deer than stretching a .24 up to larger deer or a .308 down to varmints. Something like a CZ 550 FS carbine, with nice wood and blue steel, sights and trigger, in 6.5x55mm, will handle a lot of game, with no more recoil than many .243s. It is hefty but handy to carry, accurate and powerful enough to drop deer at 300 yards. Add on some Warne QD rings and a nice 6x scope, with money left to buy a press, scales and dies.
    Handloading isn't a problem as I already do that for my .38 underlever and 9mm lever release, so already have presses, scales, tumbler etc. I think I may have to see what the land is cleared for already.